TRX goes boom, Raptor saves the day

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Probably a version of the F250 trans like you mentioned... I don't see a dual clutch handling the power and/or off road abuse. @FordTechOne probably knows what would fit the bill better than me.

Super Duty uses the new 10R140. It’s a massive transmission in both size and weight; it would not be suited to a light duty application like the Raptor, even with a supercharged V8.

Raptor R will almost certainly be a 10R80 with the necessary enhancements to handle the extra power and torque. The Tremec TR-9007 DCT is a high performance car transmission, it’s not designed for towing/hauling. From what I can find the maximum GVWR is 5,291, which is less than the dry weight of a Raptor.

Pacific Wheel

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
My point is power from a motor for a DCT is not an issue.

But I think you are over thinking this....I doubt they would go away from the 10 speed, that trans can handle a lot more that than the 3.5TT gives it and Ford isnt looking to save fractions of seconds to run sub 7 on the 14 mile Ring runs by shifting faster...like P did ith this new beast.

I think the difference might come from the fact that most DCT's are mated to lightweight cars with lightweight wheels. A DCT handling the power while mated to a 6000lb truck (that can tow) with 100lbs per corner in wheels/tires might be a different story. In 2017 BMW said "their" DCT would be pushed to the limit due to the power and weight of the car an the increasing power of the newer motors. Not to mention the added stress of AWD. So I do agree DCT is great for sub 4000lb cars. Just not trucks or boats like any vehicle with a Hellcat motor.

Last edited:

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Super Duty uses the new 10R140. It’s a massive transmission in both size and weight; it would not be suited to a light duty application like the Raptor, even with a supercharged V8.

Raptor R will almost certainly be a 10R80 with the necessary enhancements to handle the extra power and torque. The Tremec TR-9007 DCT is a high performance car transmission, it’s not designed for towing/hauling. From what I can find the maximum GVWR is 5,291, which is less than the dry weight of a Raptor.

Good info and it all makes perfect sense. I can only imagine those first couple of low ratio gears behind a 5.2 Predator. Is a Re tuned Predator the only logical choice still for The Raptor?

Frank N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think the difference might come from the fact that most DCT's are mated to lightweight cars with lightweight wheels. A DCT handling the power while mated to a 6000lb truck (that can tow) with 100lbs per corner in wheels/tires might be a different story. In 2017 BMW said "their" DCT would be pushed to the limit due to the power and weight of the car an the increasing power of the newer motors. Not to mention the added stress of AWD. So I do agree DCT is great for sub 4000lb cars. Just not trucks or boats like any vehicle with a Hellcat motor.

Agree, DCT just doesn't make sense for a truck....or a boat with a Hellcat. LMAO

Muchmore

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Pacific Wheel

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score