TRX goes boom, Raptor saves the day

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

STiago1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FCA (Stellantis) is really good at throwing huge HP in their cars / SUV and now trucks. Look at the Challenger Hellcat, when that came out I think the challenger platform was already 7 years old, now going on 13 years. Is it really really good at straight line quarter mile, hell yes, can it compete with a ZL1 on the twisties, hell no. To their credit, they've milked that platform to death by pretty much throwing more HP at it every couple of years - what are we on, the third Hellcat Challenger variant now?
This probably is their last outing with v8 now that SRT is axed and biden is clamping down on climate terrorists and FCA paying ransom to tesla. The company has been sold and bought multiple times because they couldn't turn profit from their products. Stellantis is their new foster home. Jeep brand is strong and has strong following, Ram was gaining momentum but there is no innovation and times are changing and even the bloated body style is dated. They need to come up strong design, efficient engines move away from steel and switch to aluminum/composite, right now they are a decade behind ford and gm in terms of R&D

Last edited:

lateralis

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Keep It Dirty Off-road has a good walk around of the TRX. At 7:11 he shows an oil cooler that is all the way at the bottom front of the bumper. Might be the trans cooler. All that extra weight and nose diving might have popped the line. On the other hand like some people over in the TRX forums the line might not have been fully attached and backed off.

The R&D on the TRX seems to be half baked. Putting that big ole hellcat engine in there is fine and all even with making it nose heavy. With that being said the suspension has to keep up with the weight and it doesn't seem to be able to handle the heft of this pig.

It blows my mind how a modern established car company can have these kind of QC issues. I get the 1st model problems and then the company goes back to fix them for future production but it seems all of these trucks are coming out of the factory with assembly issues. To top that off the sample size is also super low. It's not like there are 50k TRX's on the road and a handful got problems. There's like 5-700 and these issues are being reported from only the people online so you can assume there are more that haven't said anything. You'd think for a halo product the attention to detail would be thru the roof.

STiago1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Or better they should have popped their hood first and checked if all the bolts are in place before telling others to pop theirs. Bilsteins are good but the truck is too heavy to begin with

Frank N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Looks like he just posted a follow-up video.

Synopsis, sounds like he popped a transmission cooler line and dumped his transmission fluid. He only described it as "popped a transmission line". Ram sent a rep to the dealer the next morning to document it and they are getting him a new transmission within a couple of days.

At 6:12 you see the TRX in it's natural environment, the service lot.

Pacific Wheel

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
TRX...should have been called POS.

where is my shocked face for a toasted Chrysler transmission...oh right, that’s normal.

It is a ZF trans. Probably the most reliable thing on the truck. There is a reason it's used in the all the high HP BMW, Audi, Aston Martin, Rolls Royce and of course Chrysler etc... However, the Fiat QC is terrible and probably why the line came off. I wish Ford would have adopted the ZF instead of doing the 10 speed GM collabo. It really is an awesome trans.

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
It is a ZF trans. Probably the most reliable thing on the truck. There is a reason it's used in the all the high HP BMW, Audi, Aston Martin, Rolls Royce and of course Chrysler etc... However, the Fiat QC is terrible and probably why the line came off. I wish Ford would have adopted the ZF instead of doing the 10 speed GM collabo. It really is an awesome trans.

Me too!

Frank N

FRF Addict
Reaction score

And to be fair, a line popped off, it drained the trans and he continue to run it, which smoked the trans....but I hate Chrysler so I give them no quarter.