Took my '19 in for the PCM reflash (cam phaser) and Ford asked to buy my truck...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cbryant1004

Reaction score
They offered to "overpay" and even get me a lower interest rate (currently at 2.99) if I decided to stay with Ford.
I really love my Gen2. The Gen3 is meh. If anything I'd hold out for the Raptor R, but even then I would hope that it's significantly different than the current Gen3 (aside from the engine).
What are your guys' thoughts?

Bubbasuwannee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
we did something similar with our 19 802A with 43K. It had been at the dealer for 2 weeks...for the flash and eventual cam phaser replacement. 2 gen 3s came in and we decided to bail out of the gen 2. The exterior is still growing on me, but the new technology and interior made it worth it.

At the end of the day it's up to you, but in our situation, we got tired of how much our gen 2 had been at the dealer. Not saying the gen 3 won't spend as much time there, but it's nice to reset the clock.

OP
OP
C

cbryant1004

Reaction score
we did something similar with our 19 802A with 43K. It had been at the dealer for 2 weeks...for the flash and eventual cam phaser replacement. 2 gen 3s came in and we decided to bail out of the gen 2. The exterior is still growing on me, but the new technology and interior made it worth it.

At the end of the day it's up to you, but in our situation, we got tired of how much our gen 2 had been at the dealer. Not saying the gen 3 won't spend as much time there, but it's nice to reset the clock.
I've actually gotten really lucky (fingers crossed and knock on wood) with my truck. I don't have the cam phaser issue, but I got a recall notice for that PCM reflash. I'm still only at 13k miles... But yeah only things I really like about the Gen3 are the big touch screen and suspension. Haven't heard the exhaust in person so I can't really make an assessment on that.

Bubbasuwannee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've actually gotten really lucky (fingers crossed and knock on wood) with my truck. I don't have the cam phaser issue, but I got a recall notice for that PCM reflash. I'm still only at 13k miles... But yeah only things I really like about the Gen3 are the big touch screen and suspension. Haven't heard the exhaust in person so I can't really make an assessment on that.
The exhaust is 10x better than the gen 2 in my opinion. 13K miles is still new. That'd be a hard decision.

SulDogger

Reaction score
I sold my f150 earlier this summer on vroom. I gave the dealer I’m buying Raptor from an opportunity to match and the6 couldn’t. If you’re thinking of selling, might want to take a look.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have a '19 with 35k miles and I'd move to a Gen 3 if the numbers made sense. If they will "overpay" for your '19 and not "overcharge" for the new '21, then go for it. But, if it's a large price delta between the two vehicles, I'd hold off personally.
Since they're offering the low interest rate, I'm guessing that they are not offering a gen 3, but some other vehicle.

taco-13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I sold my f150 earlier this summer on vroom. I gave the dealer I’m buying Raptor from an opportunity to match and the6 couldn’t. If you’re thinking of selling, might want to take a look.
How did the process go with vroom? How long did it take them to cut you a check?

quikag

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since they're offering the low interest rate, I'm guessing that they are not offering a gen 3, but some other vehicle.
Well, forget that then. Though, they might have a credit union or bank source with a better rate than 2.99% and be offering him a Gen 3. If it's a "regular" non-Raptor truck, no way would I trade a basically new '19.