Has Ford corrected the Cam Phaser rattle in Gen3?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This cam phaser issue just won’t go away. I have not heard of a Gen 3 failure yet. I think Ford put this issue behind them.

dsiggi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did until the first cam phaser repair, then I turned it off at the beginning of every drive. Didn't seem to make a difference with the subsequent returning cam phaser problems.
Yea I was wondering about that. What you just said confirms what a good friend of mine just told me. He isn't a calibrator but worked on Raptor for a while. He didn't think start stop would affect it, because he said he was pretty sure the PCM remembers the position of the pistons during a start stop function and doesn't lock the pin.

Bud Dieselman

Reaction score
My '18 had cam phasers replaced @15k, and 35k, and started the rattle again so I traded her in @ 50k miles for a '20. My '20's were replaced once @60k, it rattled for a good 10k miles before I had it done during which the computer fix was implemented but was already rattling. Finally traded her in @80k miles for my '23. First cam phaser fix took a month, second a week, the last on the '20 took 2 days. Would do it all again if I had to but I'm so glad they finally fixed the problem!

What was the build date of your ‘20?

shigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh Lordy. I’d be a little suspect of the single post, joined today. Smurfslayer it might be time to get sighted in.