Does the Cam Phaser recall now cover every year of the Gen2 (2017-20), and beyond?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dutchman

Reaction score
I hope this helps someone. I had the rattle and took it in and was initially told he will try to get it covered by Ford but no promises. Another Tech was there when I went to pick the truck up this morning and they said oh no no. If you have it flashed by today it will last until 2023 for you to get it fixed by. They updated it to July 31st 2022 to get it flashed by..

I have a 2019 raptor

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I hope this helps someone. I had the rattle and took it in and was initially told he will try to get it covered by Ford but no promises. Another Tech was there when I went to pick the truck up this morning and they said oh no no. If you have it flashed by today it will last until 2023 for you to get it fixed by. They updated it to July 31st 2022 to get it flashed by..

I have a 2019 raptor
This program expired 2-28-22. So not sure how they can document you had it done before this. I would follow up.

https://ford.oemdtc.com/7468/custom...8-2020-expedition-2018-2020-lincoln-navigator

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score

I have a 2019 raptor
21B10 Supplement (revision) #3 extends the reflash coverage to 7/31/22, but in order to get the extended coverage (21N03) on the phaser replacement, the reflash had to be completed prior to 2/28/22 as @K223 mentioned.

ntev29

Reaction score
Anyone have issues with being told that 21N03 (or any of the other customer satisfaction programs) regarding this cam phaser problem is not applicable to their VIN? I have a 2018 Raptor, matches the 'AFFECTED VEHICLES' table here: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2021/MC-10199480-0001.pdf

However the dealership and ford customer service are saying that it doesn't, and didn't, included my Raptor.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Anyone have issues with being told that 21N03 (or any of the other customer satisfaction programs) regarding this cam phaser problem is not applicable to their VIN? I have a 2018 Raptor, matches the 'AFFECTED VEHICLES' table here: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2021/MC-10199480-0001.pdf

However the dealership and ford customer service are saying that it doesn't, and didn't, included my Raptor.

That’s because both programs have expired; they gave you a year (July 2021 to July 2022) to get 21B10 completed, which then activated the extended coverage until January 1, 2023. Expired programs don’t show up by VIN, but 2018 Raptor was included.

I see you just joined, it’s customary to take a moment to introduce yourself in the new members section with some pics of your Raptor!

ntev29

Reaction score
That’s because both programs have expired; they gave you a year (July 2021 to July 2022) to get 21B10 completed, which then activated the extended coverage until January 1, 2023. Expired programs don’t show up by VIN, but 2018 Raptor was included.

I see you just joined, it’s customary to take a moment to introduce yourself in the new members section with some pics of your Raptor!

Unfortunate... I never received any mail by Ford, and the cam phaser recently started acting up. Any work around for this? I'm out of warranty (75,***), should I expect this to come out of pocket? Is it even worth paying for out of pocket?

Thanks for the tip, will do.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Unfortunate... I never received any mail by Ford, and the cam phaser recently started acting up. Any work around for this? I'm out of warranty (75,***), should I expect this to come out of pocket? Is it even worth paying for out of pocket?

Thanks for the tip, will do.
Are you the original owner? If not did you register your used purchase with FOMOCO?

It can take years to track owners down if the vehicle is not owned by the original owner. This isn't a big deal on safety or emissions recalls that never expired. (In 1990 I did a seat reinforcement recall on a 1969 mustang )

you can still request/pay to have ALL computers/modules updated to latest software level.

As far as cost. At my shop we are around $3500, but that is all new timing chain components + timing solenoids + water pump+ thermostat + all new gaskets and seals on valve covers, intake and timing cover. (Each valve cover has a gasket, 3 spark plug seals and 2 timing solenoid seals)

Vs just phasers.

ntev29

Reaction score
Are you the original owner? If not did you register your used purchase with FOMOCO?

It can take years to track owners down if the vehicle is not owned by the original owner. This isn't a big deal on safety or emissions recalls that never expired. (In 1990 I did a seat reinforcement recall on a 1969 mustang )

you can still request/pay to have ALL computers/modules updated to latest software level.

As far as cost. At my shop we are around $3500, but that is all new timing chain components + timing solenoids + water pump+ thermostat + all new gaskets and seals on valve covers, intake and timing cover. (Each valve cover has a gasket, 3 spark plug seals and 2 timing solenoid seals)

Vs just phasers.

One owner before me, I've owned it since 2020, but never registered with Ford. From what I've been reading it seems that once the holding pin is worn, a software update won't help?

Whew, might as well wait until I'm pushing 100,000 miles to just have all of that done together.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
One owner before me, I've owned it since 2020, but never registered with Ford. From what I've been reading it seems that once the holding pin is worn, a software update won't help?

Whew, might as well wait until I'm pushing 100,000 miles to just have all of that done together.
At that point it might be a $5000 dollar job due to inflation.

The job surely isn't going to get any cheaper.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Sounds like the letter went to the previous owner. It was also an alert/message in the FordPass app.

Correct, once the hardware is worn, it will need to be replaced.