Has Ford corrected the Cam Phaser rattle in Gen3?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This was the most recent post concerning this I could find. Apologize if it was the wrong place to do it but wanted to make sure people know it is still an issue. Maybe I’m the one in a million but the guy in service wasn’t surprised it happened, just surprised it was at this low mileage. Said “they typically come in after 20k or so.”
Mechanical parts fail from time to time. That yours failed doesn't mean that the design problem still exists.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
This was the most recent post concerning this I could find. Apologize if it was the wrong place to do it but wanted to make sure people know it is still an issue. Maybe I’m the one in a million but the guy in service wasn’t surprised it happened, just surprised it was at this low mileage. Said “they typically come in after 20k or so.”

So, you had a failure analysis performed on the parts? So that you would be able to definitively say ‘the problem still exists’ [with the phaser failing to park correctly].

Look, none of us want a Raptor owner down for a mechanical, and not to minimize the part failure you’re experiencing, but the defective parts were long ago replaced and the subsequent re-programming was instituted to prevent or delay the onset of future potential failures. That said, there is no mechanical part or programming that are immune to failures.

I hope you’re on the road again soon.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It’s not “still an issue”. Most people start off by introducing themselves in the new member section with a picture of their truck. Not bumping a random thread claiming there’s an “issue” when you have no concept of what you’re even talking about.

dsiggi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That why we are being replaced with machines and AI
lol and AI makes random crap up. I work in the space, its not a panacea and far from it.

Also, I'm not sure ford has ever solved its Cam Phaser issues over the last 20 years, they seem to find new and amazing ways to have problems. But, id agree with @FordTechOne , programs have been implemented that have reduced the failures to a rounding error. If you get Calibration Engineers and Hardware guys in a room, you'll still get a lively debate.

RogueClimber

Agent Orange
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 2023 F-150 with 7500 miles, now at dealership for cam phaser replacement. The problem has not been fixed.

With a sampling data point of 1, I fail to see how the problem continues. Yes you had a failure, that sucks, but to say it is a continuation of a previous issue is a stretch

shigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also for the mechanic to say the failure happens "typically" at 20K+ miles, Its a mighty small sample size with most Gen 3s being under 20K miles. I had an Xterra a while ago that had a near 100% failure rate of the transmission fluid mixing with the coolant causing immediate transmission failure usually at 75-120K miles caused by a poorly designed radiator. They fixed the radiator design eventually, but on rare 1 off occurrences it would still happen. Just because something is fixed doesn't mean a mechanical part can't fail. If the gen 3 phasers still had a issue like the gen 2s had we'd be seeing threads crop up on them almost daily.

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Also for the mechanic to say the failure happens "typically" at 20K+ miles, Its a mighty small sample size with most Gen 3s being under 20K miles. I had an Xterra a while ago that had a near 100% failure rate of the transmission fluid mixing with the coolant causing immediate transmission failure usually at 75-120K miles caused by a poorly designed radiator. They fixed the radiator design eventually, but on rare 1 off occurrences it would still happen. Just because something is fixed doesn't mean a mechanical part can't fail. If the gen 3 phasers still had an issue like the gen 2s had we'd be seeing threads crop up on them almost daily.
Exactly.