Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

A.I.I.Raciing

Dezert 8MYMNEY
Reaction score
So I've been reading a lot about the TPMS. What I read is that if the tires get down to 42 psi you get an idiot light that comes on the screen. Now I'm fine with a single light, but when I finally order a Raptor it won't be a 2010 so it will have the flashing screen in the cluster. I run my tires in the 32-35 psi on my trucks(I run the same size as the Raptor) and refuse to run anywhere near 44 psi.
So my question is this, can the TPMS be shut off or can the computer be tricked or reconfigured so that I don't get the same constant flashing screen like the video below?

YouTube - SW headers noise level

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
hmmm. good one. i'm sure Ford can easily disable them...but they won't.

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I've been reading a lot about the TPMS. What I read is that if the tires get down to 42 psi you get an idiot light that comes on the screen. Now I'm fine with a single light, but when I finally order a Raptor it won't be a 2010 so it will have the flashing screen in the cluster. I run my tires in the 32-35 psi on my trucks(I run the same size as the Raptor) and refuse to run anywhere near 44 psi.
So my question is this, can the TPMS be shut off or can the computer be tricked or reconfigured so that I don't get the same constant flashing screen like the video below?

It doesnt flash... its an illusion caused by the video... and you can get it turned off if you have a engineering PCM and set it to 0... If you can get intouch with someone in calibration ar Ford or I bet some of the drivers involved with the baja might be able to get you one...

JP7

Likes Canadian Mudbaths
Reaction score
My low pressure idiot message has been on since October when the weather turned cold. At first, I ignored it but then checked the pressure ant all 4 tires were at 36 psi. I filled them to 45, but the idiot message is still there, so I'm back in ignore mode. Going in for service next week, and maybe they can fix it.
BTW - the gas station or portable air compressors have a real tough time filling these tires - I wish I had a shop compressor to save time out in the cold...

SPRSNK

I Void Warranties
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yes. There is a trick we do with the Mustangs.

1. Get yourself a plastic PVC Tube.
2. Seal one end of the tube.
3. Take your TPMS sensors out of the tires. Insert into PVC Tube.
4. Pad them to keep them being smashed to bits against each other.
5. Take the other end and install a pressure gauge and an inflator (your choice here on how to make it work).
6. Seal that end of the tube. Connect to air compressor and inflate to desired TPS sensor pressure.
7. Install tube someplace where it is out of the way and still easy to get to without rolling all over the place.

Now your TPS Sensors will not kick in the warning lights.

There is another trick that I do with my F350. I ignore the light, but the message that stays up, I hit the reset button for the flashing cluster. Cluster goes back to normal while leaving the idiot light up. I had a bad sensor in my 09 F350 and I have had it replaced twice. Last tire shop said to take it into Ford because they think the computer is bad.

SilverBolt

Hired Gun
Reaction score
Very strange that Ford's system uses a predetermined PSI. With Toyota, VW, and BMW it is based on a difference in pressure. All three have a "reset" button that you press once you have set your tires to the pressure you want. If it drops below that pressure it trips the light. The light cannot be reset until all tires have the correct pressure. How does Ford know what tires you may replace the stock tires with? I always use the chaulk test to determine the correct pressure for a tire. I have run a lot of BFG A/T's on past rigs and not once gone over 38psi. Going to be interesting to watch the tire wear.

BMW & VW have a two channel system so you can have two sets of wheels and tires for the car. Toyota is a pain in that if you change a sensor you have to go to the dealer with the serial number off of the new sensor so they can key it into the system. It won't read it without being keyed in.

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
if you just took the TPMS right out of the tires wouldn't the BCM stop searching for them and shut off the idiot light?

SilverBolt

Hired Gun
Reaction score
if you just took the TPMS right out of the tires wouldn't the BCM stop searching for them and shut off the idiot light?

Unfortuneately no. The fault code and light will persist. I ran my Tacoma without them for a year or so. Someone on the Tacoma forum finally figured out a hack to disable it. Amounted to grounding one wire to disable the system. Likely Ford's is as simple. Just need a wiring diagram.

BlueSVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I know this thread is a year old... but I'm curious if anybody has had any luck in disabling this system? I'm installing an aftermarket TPMS system, so I can see each tire's pressure and temperature, so I will have NO need for the factory system.

The PVC tube trick isn't a bad idea, but it would be nice if you could actually disable properly.