Thinking of trombone loop exhaust on gen2?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dachuri

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Afe makes an equal length downpipe for the Gen 2. That would probably be easier than trying to retrofit a gen3 exhaust.

Has anyone ever found AFE's Twisted Steel catted pipes in stock? Part number is/was 48-33021-HC but AFE took them off their website a couple months back and I've never seen any online distributor with them in stock. There's a thread on here from earlier this summer where a couple guys placed orders but never received. https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/afe-twisted-steel-downpipes.68398/page-5

I'd love to take a look at these but have never seen where they actually went for sale to the general public.

ChadG

Reaction score
I was told they were pulled due to emission control. Does not make sense, if it is compliant on the 3rd gen?

Zeusmotorworks

Semi-retired, now just a happy grumpy old man!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm at the point that I'm thinking I hope some Gen 3 guys "upgrade" so I can scam their "leftovers". Be interesting to see if a full gen 3 OE system would fit a gen 2.

20psirabbit

Reaction score
Isn’t the idea just making the overall pipes equal length? If one swoops across before going back to the rear, isn’t the trombone just the correct-sized loop on the short side of the exhaust?
The math on that trombone length should be easy to work out or we can just copy the gen 3 loop length. I’d be curious if a trombone and an x-pipe crossover somewhere inline would sound good.

dspangler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Isn’t the idea just making the overall pipes equal length? If one swoops across before going back to the rear, isn’t the trombone just the correct-sized loop on the short side of the exhaust?
The math on that trombone length should be easy to work out or we can just copy the gen 3 loop length. I’d be curious if a trombone and an x-pipe crossover somewhere inline would sound good.
I am not sure that would be advisable. Since this exhaust concept is what Nissan uses, and this is what a raspy x pipe would sound like, I think it would be unadvisable.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am not sure that would be advisable. Since this exhaust concept is what Nissan uses, and this is what a raspy x pipe would sound like, I think it would be unadvisable.
Absolutely irrelevant. The 3.5 EcoBoost shares nothing with a Nissan. Completely different engine architecture, design, bore, stroke, and firing order.

The Gen 3 exhaust sounds nothing like the video you posted. Not sure why you even care, considering you claim to be a Gen 1 fanboy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjorn-dpc