GEN 2 Intermittent Smoke After Idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

T_Squared

Reaction score
I've had my '19 for 17k miles and I have noticed a couple of times where there would be smoke coming from the exhaust after an extended idle period (15-20 min). One of the guys from work saw it too, coming from my driver's side exhaust. I've noticed it maybe twice in a year. Once leaving my driveway after going back inside to look for something (truck slightly inclined nose-down in my driveway). I couldn't smell anything nor could I tell if the smoke was white or gray (it was 5AM). The other time I was pulling out onto the road after waiting to pick up a lunch order (truck was on flat ground, but smoked under more...enthusiastic acceleration). One of my gearhead coworkers said it was light gray smoke and smelled more like oil, and definitely wasn't coolant. It hasn't happened since last fall.

I've looked into it a little, but would like to hear from you guys if you have any experience with this. My first thought is possibly oil leaking past turbo seal? It made sense to me since it's a true dual exhaust and only one side had smoke. I don't rag on her too much and like I said, haven't seen it since the fall. I checked oil level afterward and the levels looked fine.

The only mods I have is a Roush intake (on it when I picked it up), JLT oil separator (does collect about 1/4 can between oil changes), TurboSmart Supersonic BOV, and a Full Race TB spacer. I would like to put the Wagner Intercooler, AMS boost tubes and SPD trombone on it and get the Stage 2 tune from Goose, but would like to figure out if I have ****ed up turbos before I try to push more power out of her.

Thanks in advance,
T_Squared

HighwaySentinel

︻デ┳═ー - - - - - - -
Reaction score
Do a search. It has been mentioned a few times on here. With mine, I figured it was the turbo seal, but the dealership would not put forth the effort to duplicate the issue. Then, I would go let it idle for 30 minutes and it would do it again. So, I traded it in.

CleverGirl_

Cabin Clown
Reaction score
This^

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
This^

damn. we gotta get this on the next FRF bingo card

OP
OP
T

T_Squared

Reaction score
Sorry y'all, I know its been beaten to death on here. Guess I was just looking for an internet mechanic to point me in a direction or give me peace of mind. Every post I read was a little different situation for the OP and this is my first turbo vehicle. I appreciate the replies though.

CleverGirl_

Cabin Clown
Reaction score
Sorry y'all, I know its been beaten to death on here. Guess I was just looking for an internet mechanic to point me in a direction or give me peace of mind. Every post I read was a little different situation for the OP and this is my first turbo vehicle. I appreciate the replies though.
I get it, smoke and turbo is usally no bueno. Theres a few youtube ASE certified guys on here. they should be around shortly.

Im going back to the Gen1 level.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Just make one per Gen
Jayzus! that’s all we need is more this Jen is better than that Jen. We’re one, big, happy, dysfunctional Raptor family here.

Sorry y'all, I know it’s been beaten to death on here. Guess I was just looking for an internet mechanic to point me in a direction or give me peace of mind. Every post I read was a little different situation for the OP and this is my first turbo vehicle. I appreciate the replies though.
Despite the ribbing, you did the right thing by coming here to find info and if you didn’t get a good answer out of reading, that happens. Better to ask, especially since it’s a first turbo.

However, since it was an intro post and lacked the appropriate, required photographic proof that we’re actually talking to a Raptor owner here,
200.gif
So... Pictures. Or we are forced to conclude that this is you:

200.gif
:)

( I can’t believe nobody’s caught this one yet. Must be all the gummy spam posts )