White Smoke (different than beaten to death topic) *sorta*

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MEski4x4

Reaction score
So I read all of the white smoke threads, but none of them really applied to my scenario. I am probably just being paranoid, but I figure it's worth a post. My 2020 has 18k miles on it, runs fine, doesn't burn oil, decent MPG etc. No complaints so far. The last few days have been getting cold, and last night was the coldest night we've had so far. It was low 20s F* so when I got up this morning, I remote started the truck. When I looked out the kitchen window, there was a lot (more than I'm used to) white smoke coming from the exhaust. No smell to it, no blue hint. Truck started fine, no issue there. Keep in mind, I've had a butt-load of cars before this, and I can't remember any of them really having this much white smoke on a cold start, not even my catless 700hp Audi S6. Anyways, got in the truck and drove to get coffee - all normal, no excess smoke at all when accelerating. Left the truck running, came out, 99% of the smoke is gone now. So - do these things usually smoke so much on a cold start? Everything else is completely normal. I am probably getting ahead of myself - it was just surprising the amount and I want to get ahead of any issues while I still have my lovely warranties. For note - now that I've driven for 10mins and idled at coffee - If I go out and start the truck, the level of smoke is completely normal and small.

KingKoopa17

Reaction score
My truck is a '19 with 37k miles, it does the same thing during a cold morning sometimes. Sig might be onto something, but I haven't noticed any sort of issues on mine.

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
Sig is correct.

Moisture in the exhaust is a normal part of the combustion process. It is burning off when you start it. Lots of short trips will not give it enough time to burn it all off.

Muchmore

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Absolutely no problem at all, totally normal, no different than seeing your own breath. The drier the air the more you see AND it looks really cool when you get on it and you have those twin Death Swirls like jetwash. Take me to bed or lose me forever Goose!!!

Sig Fanboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I spent 4 years looking at the start up exhaust of my Porsche” is that just white smoke from condensation or is the stupid expensive Air Oil Seperator( AOS) bad again. It actually wasn’t that expensive , but it’s a bugger to change.