Gen 3 White exhaust fume on cold start and idling?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gen3Rap69

Reaction score
Hello everyone I just purchased a used 22 ford raptor 35pkg with 10k miles on it and noticed today that when I started the truck that a lot of white exhaust fume was coming out the back. I also drove it for about ten miles and throughout the drive I noticed the white smoke in every stop. My question, is this common or is there possibly an issue with the truck?

Red19Raptor

Reaction score
Spounds like a blown turbo, I would contact your local Ford dealership and see if they can offer any help!

Donmatteo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So.....it depends...

How cold and humid is it? They do "smoke" some on a cold start and will, what I call vape, on cold/humid days driving around.

Does this smoke smell like oil or coolant or like warm water?

The truck does have a lot of condensation in the exhaust on start up but need a better description or more detail.

kandewinn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m going with condensation. If your tailgate gets foggy while sitting still at idle, it’s water.

julien194b

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So.....it depends...

How cold and humid is it? They do "smoke" some on a cold start and will, what I call vape, on cold/humid days driving around.

Does this smoke smell like oil or coolant or like warm water?

The truck does have a lot of condensation in the exhaust on start up but need a better description or more detail.
Perfect answer, nothing to add

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Welcome to FRF
Pictures. Or you bought a prius.

This is a known, common issue that is 99% not a problem. Use the search function, it’s most often condensation in the exhaust and typically occurs on a start up where there was prolonged idling or a very short trip before shutdown. Let me search FRF for you:

1703945405595.jpeg

Also, after posting pictures, don’t forget to head over to New Member Safe Space

FordPerf Addict

FRF Addict
Reaction score
excessive idling will do this also. seen this on my gen 2 after idling for a couple of hours