Gen 3 2023 Major electrical issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dmaustin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To start off, I own a 23 37PP that I took delivery of in February 2023. Monday through Friday the truck sits because I have a company truck; so the Raptor is only driven on the weekends to the gym, haircut, groceries……etc.
This morning I remote started the truck to pre-warm it. Not even a block out of my development, I get a blind spot fault/ cross traffic fault light that comes on. I immediately smell burning plastic (wiring) , then I notice that the climate in the truck isn’t warm and notice the HVAC gauge cluster not working and not lit up. In addition I noticed all functions on the drivers and passenger doors aren’t working; to includes power windows, folding mirrors, mirror adjustments. On top of everything else I notice that the dash Custer is glitching on certain screens to include the average fuel economy and driver assist screens. Both screen are missing the truck animation picture and now I have 2 grey lines going vertically in the center of the screen. Also now a horizontal blue box appears at the top of dash screen.

Also now I notice the key fob is not locking or unlocking the truck and the only way to lock it is through the outside proximity sensor. And the key fob remote start is now not working.

The plastic smell now seems stronger and coming from under the driver side dash board. I immediately drop it at my dealership. However since it is a Saturday, no master technicians are working, so they will look at it on Monday.

Has anyone else experienced this . I literally only use the truck on weekends, so I only have 5,800 miles on the truck. I have not taken the truck off road and have not added any mods besides tint, tonneau cover and console vault.

Driving to the dealership the burning plastic smell was getting worse.

Anyone else experience this issue and if so what did the dealer find???

Last edited:
OP
OP
dmaustin

dmaustin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hope not, but not likely. Truck was parked at the end of the driveway and checked under the dash , the hood and under the seats for debris and didn’t see anything.it did rain hard yesterday and this is the first start since last Sunday. I’m thinking water may have entered the blis module in the tail lights.and what I smelled was a fuse burning.

OP
OP
dmaustin

dmaustin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would say a bad battery giving low voltage causing havoc, but that burning smell…can’t ignore that. Can you pin point the source of that smell?
Smells like it’s coming from under the dash on the driver’s side in the center. No smell on the passenger side. That could definitely be one problem, because my last software update 6.5 , didn’t update until after a day of driving, which makes me think low voltage. But doesn’t explain the burning smell and the different selection of electronics not working (windows, lock, hvac cluster, and all other front door functions)

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would say a bad battery giving low voltage causing havoc, but that burning smell…can’t ignore that. Can you pin point the source of that smell?
I agree with this one. Willing to bet it's a bad battery or loose battery terminal connection. The burning smell however is concerning and could be something much worse. They will prob agree to replace the battery and if the burning smell comes up again i'd bring it right back. Don't take a super long drive or trip until you are confident the issue went away.

shigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Saying you don’t drive it often and very short trips (groceries) can be bad on batteries. If that voltage isn’t spot on all sorts of mess can happen. If that burning smell wasn’t happening, that would 100% be the fix IMO. Alternators that are messed up can cause a mess too. Does it smell electrical, or pure burning plastic? The plastic smell, me thinks is a harness. Fuse box should have some tripped fuses. The dealer should be able to figure something out.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dmaustin

dmaustin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Saying you don’t drive it often and very short trips (groceries) can be bad on batteries. If that voltage isn’t spot on all sorts of mess can happen. If that burning smell wasn’t happening, that would 100% be the fix IMO. Alternators that are messed up can cause a mess too. Does it smell electrical, or pure burning plastic? The plastic smell, me thinks is a harness. Fuse box should have some tripped fuses. The dealer should be able to figure something out.
Solely a plastic smell, like wiring insulation. Yeah unfortunately my job has been calling me in on weekends and middle of the night. So my weekend use of the truck lately has been limited. I was planning for a road trip today. But then this happened.

Hopefully it’s something minor that caused a fuse to trip.

OP
OP
dmaustin

dmaustin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with this one. Willing to bet it's a bad battery or loose battery terminal connection. The burning smell however is concerning and could be something much worse. They will prob agree to replace the battery and if the burning smell comes up again i'd bring it right back. Don't take a super long drive or trip until you are confident the issue went away.
Well the BLIS fault light is what I first saw. So just a guess that moisture may have shorted out the module and tripped fuses. But who knows. I’m really pissed off at this point; a 100k truck, 1 year old with only 5,800 miles should not have this issue.