Idle too long? Burnt oil smell

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sonicsunspot

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2018 Gen 2. Just hit 100k miles. Waiting on the wife the other day, well of course she took about 45 minutes longer than planned. Anyway, truck idled for 45 minutes. As we left we got a very strong burnt oil smell. Like oil dripping on exhaust pipe type smell (had those before!). Happened again about 10 minutes later. I thought for sure I let it get too hot and cracked a seal or something.

Now, several days later it hasn’t happened again.

Any thoughts? I have seen threads about white smoke etc after long idle time but not oil leaks.

OP
OP
Sonicsunspot

Sonicsunspot

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not really… Nov 8th about 3k miles back. So I don’t think it’s a sloppy maintainer issue.

Space Ghost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
every now and then i get a faint burning oil smell, never consistent and my dipstick is always where i filled it to.

tlrmade

Reaction score
Mine did this when installing a sync update one time. Run it hard and will burn off and never come back. I was told it was oil in the turbos?

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Has the truck had phasers replaced? I see a few driver's side valve covers with a crack that leaks AFTER phasers have been done.

The valve covers stick to head and if not removed carefully the driver's side can crack. Never seen a passenger side with a crack.

I see other leaks, but that is the one that sometimes has a smell complaint with it.

OP
OP
Sonicsunspot

Sonicsunspot

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s interesting - if It was a cracked valve cover would the leak be fairly obvious? I have gone over the engine best I can with but see no signs of any leaks. Plus it hasn’t had the oil smell in recent days.

I suspect FordTechOne’s explanation may be it.