Idle too long? Burnt oil smell

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

will2222

Reaction score
That’s interesting - if It was a cracked valve cover would the leak be fairly obvious? I have gone over the engine best I can with but see no signs of any leaks. Plus it hasn’t had the oil smell in recent days.

I suspect FordTechOne’s explanation may be it.
Also wondering on this???

OP
OP
Sonicsunspot

Sonicsunspot

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, an update for my truck on this one - no issues since I posted this originally. Truck is behaving normally, no oil smell. Reinforces what FordTechOne advised.

Booth9999

Professional basket weaver level 7
Reaction score
That’s interesting - if It was a cracked valve cover would the leak be fairly obvious? I have gone over the engine best I can with but see no signs of any leaks. Plus it hasn’t had the oil smell in recent days.

I suspect FordTechOne’s explanation may be it.
When mine was cracked it was the same circumstance. There was slight build up of oil on one of the lower valve cover bolts and would drip on the exhaust if the truck was at the right angle. i Actually had it happen twice on my 17

bentonville

Reaction score
I have the exact same problem, right at 100k miles. If I let it idle for quite a while, there seems to be white smoke and a bad smell. I noticed it in the fall two times before it got super cold outside. I'm waiting for it to get warmer again so I can see smoke vs water vapor before bringing it to a shop/etc.

@Sonicsunspot do you have any other thoughts/updates since you posted last month?

OP
OP
Sonicsunspot

Sonicsunspot

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@bentonville Nothing new for me - it hasn’t done it since the one occurrence. Next visit to for maintenance I am going to have them look for any leaks.

Booth9999

Professional basket weaver level 7
Reaction score
I have the exact same problem, right at 100k miles. If I let it idle for quite a while, there seems to be white smoke and a bad smell. I noticed it in the fall two times before it got super cold outside. I'm waiting for it to get warmer again so I can see smoke vs water vapor before bringing it to a shop/etc.

@Sonicsunspot do you have any other thoughts/updates since you posted last month?
Sounds like a turbo seal maybe?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter