Blue/Gray Smoke on Cold Start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FDHog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Started seeing some light blue/gray smoke on cold start. Mostly after sitting overnight. 36K miles 2020. Took a video this morning and went to dealer. Showed the service writer (who I've dealt with a few times, good guy) so they can't say they can't duplicate it. Can't see me for 2 weeks. Like getting a Dr appointment. Truck doesn't consume any noticeable oil between changes. Only happens for about 3 seconds.
View attachment FullSizeRender.MOV

OP
OP
FDHog

FDHog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Normal. Then why haven't I ever seen it before and what's the cause. It's not condensation vapor, that's white. You guys sound like a Harley dealership. Everything is normal.

Bozz

Royal Smart A$$
Reaction score
So....which is it, blue or gray? Can't be both. Ol' Abe found that out the hard way. o_O

OP
OP
FDHog

FDHog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Blue/Gray...Bluish Gray as in oil burning. How would you describe it?

OP
OP
FDHog

FDHog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A bad joke misfired. Sorry.
No problem. You should see the sarcasm on the Harley website, but the first 2 guys telling me it's normal is BS. There's an oil leak somewhere. If it was fuel it would be black. I've been around high performance cars for longer than a lot of you have been on the planet, except this is my first turbo.
Usually this would be valve leak down.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Normal. Then why haven't I ever seen it before and what's the cause. It's not condensation vapor, that's white. You guys sound like a Harley dealership. Everything is normal.
You stand at the back of your exhaust every time you start your truck? :think:

From your video that is not something I would ever notice. It’s more than likely just carbon/soot in the exhaust that has accumulated and gets blown out of the tailpipe with the condensation from a cold start.