The wait is killing me....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

04Ram2500Hemi

It's Just a Username
Reaction score
So just out of curiosity, why did you buy a Raptor? It’s not the fastest highest hp truck Ford sells

I can’t answer for Russ, but I bought the Raptor because at the time it was the highest hp fun truck on the market that is still a great daily driver. The chances of my truck getting jumped are slim to none. My truck needs to haul my butt back and forth to work, tow the family pontoon boat twice a year, and get me to the woods for hunting or just getting away from people. On top of that, the Raptor has become our road warrior for all long distance trips because it’s comfortable and gets reasonable fuel economy (I got just over 17mpg from Montana to San Juan Island and back in October).

For me, the TRX would do everything I wanted with the exception of fuel economy (I normally do around 9,000 miles a year so it’s not a deal breaker). However, as a former Dodge/Ram guy I’m troubled at the QC items that keep popping up with the TRX. It’s truly a shame, the truck has potential.

Ford has an opportunity with the Raptor R to just kick the hell out of Ram. I’m really excited to see what they bring to the table next year. You never know, I just might buy another Raptor down the road and not go back to Ram.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Seeing info that the anticipated base price will be about $64k before options and packages. While this could be speculation, I hope Ford understands that they didn’t do enough for anyone to upgrade from a Gen 2 to this and I don’t see the additional $6-$7k for the base model.

You're not comparing apples to apples. The old base package is gone, probably because they didn't sell enough of them. What was the 801a in 2020 is now the 800a and what was the 802a is now the 801a. So there's $3k at 2020 prices. I haven't compared features to see what else may have been included in the base package. You should do that too if you want to be fair.

cpost6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seeing info that the anticipated base price will be about $64k before options and packages. While this could be speculation, I hope Ford understands that they didn’t do enough for anyone to upgrade from a Gen 2 to this and I don’t see the additional $6-$7k for the base model.

Exactly! Just like all the IPhone owners that just have to upgrade each year to have the latest and waste money when Apple does very little improvements. Sticking with my Gen2!

ICUGAZN

Reaction score

Didn't do enough? Have you actually looked at all the improvements? What, because didn't provide a V8?

Ron Lanza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No SCAB available ever again !! 37's also means 12 mpg. I'll stick with my 2020 SCAB. I will also stay out of the dog house with the wife....

Goosed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exactly! Just like all the IPhone owners that just have to upgrade each year to have the latest and waste money when Apple does very little improvements. Sticking with my Gen2!

I am raptorless right now - was waiting for the Gen 3. Now that the news is out, I expect the Gen 2’s to hold their value since there isn’t much changing in terms of the 35’s base package Gen 3 vs an 802a Gen 2.

So it will be hard to find a Gen 3 and hard to find a good condition low mileage Gen 2 (2019-2020).

CHMP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No SCAB available ever again !! 37's also means 12 mpg. I'll stick with my 2020 SCAB. I will also stay out of the dog house with the wife....

All the walk around videos on that blue gen3 did for me was make me seriously consider 37s on my scab. I've got eibachs and Deaver+3s but I just can't get myself to start trimming.

Goosed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Didn't do enough? Have you actually looked at all the improvements? What, because didn't provide a V8?

take a base model 2020 (or even 801a) and base model 2021. Other than 5 link and so-so interior upgrades, what else are you getting?

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
take a base model 2020 (or even 801a) and base model 2021. Other than 5 link and so-so interior upgrades, what else are you getting?

Take the 801a, it's the new base. The rear suspension is big. A set of Deavers and install is what, about $2k? Add in the $3k for the improvement in the base package and you're right in the ballpark for value. Seems like a fair deal to me.