The Detroit Auto Show - New Raptor Unveiling Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fb73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not too shabby, and though I'm a big fan of turbo's the ecoboost sounds a bit ricey with exhaust. It's tough to vacate that sweet V8 sound but as this thing gets closer to showroom floors I might have to seriously consider it.

Ecoboost w/ exhaust
http://youtu.be/J4ccwmh1HxA

What a garbage sound FFS, my lawn mower sounds more agressive than that...

It would be cool they let an option to choose a V8 engine for the gas burner addicts

ZaneMasterX

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Im happy about the twin turbo v6 ecoboost! Even more so that Ford Performance is releasing tuners that do not void warranty. A simple stage 1 remap can squeeze out a bunch of power on turbo motors. Throw on a couple supporting mods and head to stage 2 and you can really blast out higher HP and torque numbers.

The ecoboost has survived baja and other torture tests so far and the best part is there is almost 2 years until the new Raptor will be available which means more miles behind the current ecoboosts to figure out any long term reliability issues.

Sure its not a big V8 but it is what it is and with global concern about fuel economy and the environment big V8s are going to disappear and be replaced by smaller boosted motors.

I guess the whole "youre compensating for something" argument could come into play here.

As an owner of v8's, straight 6's, and a modded turbo subaru I will say the subaru is the most fun to drive and mod simply because of the turbo and all the easy upgrades on the market.

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Doesn't the new 15 iceboats have some sort of sound technology?

Yes it does have sound enhancement that replicates a V8 sound in the cab. We may end up with something like that, we may not. I think it will all depend on how aggressive this "Raptor-specific" EcoBoost with dual exhaust sounds.

SilentShooter

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Im happy about the twin turbo v6 ecoboost! Even more so that Ford Performance is releasing tuners that do not void warranty. A simple stage 1 remap can squeeze out a bunch of power on turbo motors. Throw on a couple supporting mods and head to stage 2 and you can really blast out higher HP and torque numbers.

The ecoboost has survived baja and other torture tests so far and the best part is there is almost 2 years until the new Raptor will be available which means more miles behind the current ecoboosts to figure out any long term reliability issues.

Sure its not a big V8 but it is what it is and with global concern about fuel economy and the environment big V8s are going to disappear and be replaced by smaller boosted motors.

This is not the same 3.5l motor that is in the F150's already. This is going to be the same 3.5L that is in the Ford GT. So your F150 tuners are not going to work on this.

The engine is going to have a new block, new heads, and upgraded internals over the F150's 3.5l eco boost motor. I am not as worried about the motor as I am about the gearing and the new 10 speed trans. Long as they keep the gears close enough together and do not put some crap in the diffs I think it will be OK, but I would love for them to gear the hell out of it so that running 37's does not become an issue. Plus with 10 speed trans they should be able to throw a crazy OD 10th gear in it for highway use and leave us the other gears for performance.

Hell since they have the performance control options on it now they should be able to even have it tuned for MPG shifts to pass regs and then give performance ***** in the other modes.

SilentShooter

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Same engine as the Ford GT eh? I doubt that.

Then you would have no Fing idea what you are talking about.

I guess you have no clue about racing as Ford already has a 3.5L TT V6 running as an approved GARRA engine and they have stated that that is what the GT's engine is based off of. Guess what engine the GARRA Ford 3.5L is based off. The F150 truck eco boost.

Its just a tweaked and tuned 3.5L which is what the GT and new raptor are both getting. This is why its a new block, heads and internals as that is what they did for the Daytona Prototype engine.

So please actually know something before opening your mouth.

Jimbo

Mad Frog Mattis
Reaction score
32357-damn-gif-5HbE.gif

Black6

Reaction score
Not opening my mouth-typing actually.

I do race.

When you write that the Ford GT and Ford Raptor are getting the same engine, I take it to mean that they are getting identical engines, only differences being turbos and tuning. That's not true.