Sync 3 (Radio + Nav) Freezing, Lagging and acting lobotomized

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
RipReturns

RipReturns

Full Access Member
Reaction score
According to the service record: "Test Sync System Operation and Navigation, Check Software Level, System at Level 2.3, Reprogram APIM per SSM 4744. APIM locked up. Perform Battery disconnect and let sit for ten minutes, restore function in APIM. Perform master reset, continue programming, update successful. Updated system to Level 3.0. Retest, Ok."

So, in short, they reprogrammed the APIM. Trolling around the internet, I found other links suggesting APIM Level 3 is, technically speaking, no bueno:
https://www.f150forum.com/f118/sync3-problems-apim-replacement-changes-ive-noticed-433049/

Anecdotally, may eventually involve actually replacing the APIM instead of merely reflashing and/or updating its software.

Last edited:

Jimmy Snooka

Reaction score
I haven’t had the exact same issue as you are discribing but every now and again I will experience noticeable lag (or activating at all) in the front facing camera. Doesn’t happen so frequently that it’s motivated me to take it in...but that’s coming.

mmayo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Revisiting this... same thing is happening to my truck, they’ve done the reprogram and I’m still having issues, so now getting new APIM. Oddly enough I just bought a new expedition and the side cameras were messed up. It’s getting a new APMI also.

Is this becoming a common issue?

Reaction score
Having the same problem with my 2018 Raptor. The screen works good in the morning, but by afternoon the screen starts delaying touch, nav will be off location or NO GPS at all. Bluetooth disconnects by itself then reconnect. Screen becomes very lethargic and delayed. I have performed a Master Reset but have NOT unplugged battery and have not soft reset by power button and FWD button. Thoughts?

mmayo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having the same problem with my 2018 Raptor. The screen works good in the morning, but by afternoon the screen starts delaying touch, nav will be off location or NO GPS at all. Bluetooth disconnects by itself then reconnect. Screen becomes very lethargic and delayed. I have performed a Master Reset but have NOT unplugged battery and have not soft reset by power button and FWD button. Thoughts?

Dealer will have to reinstall software and then you'll still have the issue & need a new APMI...

PITA

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Have you verified that the devices you’re pairing/connecting are compatible with the system?

You may also need a software update. You can check by running your VIN on the Sync Owner website.

Reaction score
I have 2018 Raptor with Sync 3. For the first 1+ year, everything worked flawlessly. But recently, Sync 3 is lagging (3-20 seconds between touching touch screen and/or using voice recognition) and freezing. Its brain was replaced last month, and it's doing it again (the lagging/freezing is possibly worse). Did I mention that BlueTooth occasionally disconnects while talking on the phone? Other times, the navigation display indicates GPS is not connected and it does not accurately depict where we are (sometimes 500-1000 feet off, sometimes scores of miles off).

Anyone run across this before? One dealer said they hadn't seen it before, and my dealer is pulling me back in for attempt #2 to fix lobotomized Sync 3.

Do you have any more updates to this? This problem is exactly what I am seeing now on 2018 Raptor. Any help would be appreciated. Thank You

gazzar

Reaction score
Had the same problem for 18 months after my battery went flat - Sync 3 lagging by up to 30 seconds and GPS unusable. Then I discovered the solution…

The solution was to upgrade the SYNC 3 software using a USB stick loaded with software from Fords website AND THEN ALSO updating the maps to the latest version. Until I updated the maps it still didn’t work. I just downloaded the software and meticulously followed the instructions here

https://www.ford.co.uk/owner/resources-and-support/sync-bluetooth/update#/

I had previously tried updating the software and doing full resets but none of these worked. It was updati
G the maps as well that fixed it.