GEN 3 --Anyone Else Not Crazy about their new truck?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks very much for your interesting replies -- particularly about the default backseat serial killer warning. But I was hoping to hear from other Gen 3 Raptor owners who are, or are not, having frustrating issues with their long awaited new truck. The Ford Synch 4 electronics (in my short experience) are confusing, frustrating, undependable and a pain in the ****.
The majority of Infotainment system issues are related to the device that is paired to it, not an issue with the system itself. Manufacturers cannot anticipate every cell phone model, software version, and app when designing an infotainment system. Every Sync 4 system is built the same, the variable is your device. I’ve seen everything from emojis in contact lists lock the system up to MLB apps crashing the navigation system. If the system functions properly without your phone connected, that’s a good indication it’s a phone issue and not a Sync issue.

AustinRaptor512

Reaction score
4700 miles in. Only issue was the coolant line rubbing on the crank pulley. Other than that a very nice upgrade from my 2020. My only gripe is it doesn’t feel as quick as my Gen 2. Nothing that goosetuned can’t fix tho.

planetMalone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tech sucks. But children love it and they are the ones designing cars now.
Move over, old man! Us kids are taking over now.

In all seriousness, I like the tech in the truck for the most part (am kid), but I even have some complaints.

I can't say that my Wireless Carplay experience has gone as smoothly as @NJ2020. There have been a few occasions where it just wouldn't connect. I had to resort to caveman tech from the era of @GordoJay and @GWBush. You know, plugging it in with a physical cable. When it does connect, there is a slight lag, but it doesn't bug me too much. The phone integration that ****** me off is the Qi (wireless) charging pad. That thing is just about useless. My phone will charge for about 2 minutes before stopping.

I have two small kids, and I still find the rear passenger warning extremely annoying. I'm just happy we can disable it.

I don't mind that the phone controls have been removed. I tend to use Siri when I'm driving anyways, and that button is still present. I'd much prefer to have the steering wheel mode button that I've used exactly once and will probably never touch again (sarcasm).

RaptorFan1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score

In all seriousness, I like the tech in the truck for the most part (am kid), but I even have some complaints.

I can't say that my Wireless Carplay experience has gone as smoothly as @NJ2020. There have been a few occasions where it just wouldn't connect. I had to resort to caveman tech from the era of @GordoJay and @GWBush. You know, plugging it in with a physical cable. When it does connect, there is a slight lag, but it doesn't bug me too much. The phone integration that ****** me off is the Qi (wireless) charging pad. That thing is just about useless. My phone will charge for about 2 minutes before stopping.

I have two small kids, and I still find the rear passenger warning extremely annoying. I'm just happy we can disable it.

I don't mind that the phone controls have been removed. I tend to use Siri when I'm driving anyways, and that button is still present. I'd much prefer to have the steering wheel mode button that I've used exactly once and will probably never touch again (sarcasm).
2000 miles on my truck so far - had the same carplay issue that you mentioned above once before. Had to re-select it from the phone selection screen and it allowed me to reconnect. When I first got the truck it was still warm out and I had the sunroof open and the phone on the charging pad. The combination of direct sunlight and heat from the pad caused the phone to shut down to prevent damage, lol.

The new sync system isn't without it's issues, but my wife's Uconnect system makes me want to pull my hair out from how much it freezes, and don't get me started on whatever is in my vette.

NJ2020

Full Access Member
Reaction score

When it doesn’t connect automatically try unlocking your phone or turning off / on WiFi on your phone. Had that happen a couple times once from restarting my phone without unlocking it after and being connected my work hotspot before getting in the truck.

I do get a dead spot downtown that will disconnect me but don’t think that’s a sync issue.

planetMalone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When it doesn’t connect automatically try unlocking your phone or turning off / on WiFi on your phone. Had that happen a couple times once from restarting my phone without unlocking it after and being connected my work hotspot before getting in the truck.

I do get a dead spot downtown that will disconnect me but don’t think that’s a sync issue.
Those definitely happen, but they're easy to work through. During the times I mentioned above, nothing would get them to connect. I toggled BT, toggled WIFI, restarted the truck, and restarted the phone. The only thing that works is unpairing and repairing them.

planetMalone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2000 miles on my truck so far - had the same carplay issue that you mentioned above once before. Had to re-select it from the phone selection screen and it allowed me to reconnect. When I first got the truck it was still warm out and I had the sunroof open and the phone on the charging pad. The combination of direct sunlight and heat from the pad caused the phone to shut down to prevent damage, lol.

The new sync system isn't without it's issues, but my wife's Uconnect system makes me want to pull my hair out from how much it freezes, and don't get me started on whatever is in my vette.
Older Uconnect systems are terrible. I played with a newer version, and it was decent. Sync is still my favorite so far.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score

LOL Get off of my lawn!

I had to resort to caveman tech from the era of @GordoJay and @GWBush. You know, plugging it in with a physical cable.

The tech in my first pickup was an AM radio. It didn't work. NAV was printed on paper. You may have heard in your history classes that they made that by grinding up trees ... our caveman vehicle was a farm truck with a floorboard starter and two manual transmissions with no synchromesh. I learned to drive that when I was fifteen. Moving from there to a semi was cake. I like not having to hitch hike to town to find a phone booth when I break down. And the engine performance is nice. A/C I like. But the rest of the tech is pretty useless.