Question on Master Reset of the Sync and Subsequent issues After?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It's a '20. I still am under the extended warranty. I got the 8 year plan. It definitely seems suspicious how I went from everything working great to all this goofiness in a week.
I'll bite, why does it seem suspicious?? Do you normally have it marked on your calendar when things wil go south in your life??
Seems like a classic parts failure, especially electronics.

I am trying to be some what of smart ass, don't get me wrong.

But in all seriousness, I have customers all the time.....

"I don't understand, it gave me no warning, it was running fine and then just died"

"The transmission shifted fine yesterday "

Oh and one of my favorites

"How can something be wrong, it passed emissions last year"

(We have annual emissions testing here)

Forget the fact the car is 15 years old, 180,000 miles and in the last year it was driven 10k miles, since last registration, yea how could anything go bad in a year.

Fact is, we rarely get warnings of impending doom, and when we do 99% ignore (hell look at the world, you can literally watch it happen)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Oldfart

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'll bite, why does it seem suspicious?? Do you normally have it marked on your calendar when things wil go south in your life??
Seems like a classic parts failure, especially electronics.

I am trying to be some what of smart ass, don't get me wrong.

But in all seriousness, I have customers all the time.....

"I don't understand, it gave me no warning, it was running fine and then just died"

"The transmission shifted fine yesterday "

Oh and one of my favorites

"How can something be wrong, it passed emissions last year"

(We have annual emissions testing here)

Forget the fact the car is 15 years old, 180,000 miles and in the last year it was driven 10k miles, since last registration, yea how could anything go bad in a year.

Fact is, we rarely gets warnings if impending doom, and when we do 99% ignore (hell look at the world, you can literally watch it happen)
I meant that I'm suspicious that it's some type of hardware issue, as opposed to a Sync glitch.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I meant that I'm suspicious that it's some type of hardware issue, as opposed to a Sync glitch.
Yea, I suspect a failed APIM (sync module). The earlier ones had memory chips that would degrade over time (same thing is affecting earlier tesla vehicles, causing them to become 6,000lbs lawn ornaments)

blwn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a known issue with a certain version of 3.4 and there is a long thread on it here. Update it to the latest version if you can get the screen back.

OP
OP
Oldfart

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It's a known issue with a certain version of 3.4 and there is a long thread on it here. Update it to the latest version if you can get the screen back.

Thanks, I hadn't seen that thread. That's definitely what I ended up with. Maybe I could have gotten ahead of this before I ended up with a dead screen. K9 posted a pic of his screen with the same 2 prompts about sync that started the downhill shit train. Looks like I'm stuck waiting 2 weeks to get into the dealer. I never thought about how many functions you lose without the screen!

1698943951022.png

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks, I hadn't seen that thread. That's definitely what I ended up with. Maybe I could have gotten ahead of this before I ended up with a dead screen. K9 posted a pic of his screen with the same 2 prompts about sync that started the downhill shit train. Looks like I'm stuck waiting 2 weeks to get into the dealer. I never thought about how many functions you lose without the screen!

View attachment 430187
Yea, my wife's 2013 SHO has no hard buttons for heated/cooled seats. Loose that screen and you loose a lot more functionality that just the radio.