Sync 3 (Radio + Nav) Freezing, Lagging and acting lobotomized

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RipReturns

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 2018 Raptor with Sync 3. For the first 1+ year, everything worked flawlessly. But recently, Sync 3 is lagging (3-20 seconds between touching touch screen and/or using voice recognition) and freezing. Its brain was replaced last month, and it's doing it again (the lagging/freezing is possibly worse). Did I mention that BlueTooth occasionally disconnects while talking on the phone? Other times, the navigation display indicates GPS is not connected and it does not accurately depict where we are (sometimes 500-1000 feet off, sometimes scores of miles off).

Anyone run across this before? One dealer said they hadn't seen it before, and my dealer is pulling me back in for attempt #2 to fix lobotomized Sync 3.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I’ve got a ’17 but only had minor sync issues on the earlier versions of sync. I’d say if you’re having a repeat occurrence then yeah bring it back in. likely h/w

Umlify

Reaction score
While the truck is running, press and hold both the power button and right arrow (fast fwd arrow) for about 3-5 seconds until the screen turns blank.
This is like a soft reset kind of like with a smart phone. You won’t lose any of your settings, but it may help.

OP
OP
RipReturns

RipReturns

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the suggested tactic for soft reboot (i actually figured that out about a year ago - the first time it froze - and it didn't need it again until January). But that beats no radio and frozen map!
:)

Pikser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same issue. Took it to my dealer and they spent 5 minutes checking it and said the APIM needed to be replaced. They replaced it and now works great

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Our explorer sport did that same thing this weekend.

I turned the car off trying to restart, and nothing fixed it.

When we parked the car for 2 hours it fixed itself.

OP
OP
RipReturns

RipReturns

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I drove two hours on an interstate today. According to my Nav Screen, I was doing donuts for over an hour in cemetery back in Dallas...120 miles north of where I was. It's been lobotomized.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
did you send it in a cemetery? that’s pretty dark, just sayin’ :)

yeah, new hardware under warranty is in your truck’s future.

OP
OP
RipReturns

RipReturns

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's the frustrating part: new equipment is in my future AGAIN as they replaced the "brain" already the first time in March (e.g., 40 days ago).
:(

In reviewing the service records, I realized they have not actually replaced the brain yet, merely given a software reboot. Here's hoping.

Last edited: