Subtle Clunking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

elking

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This maybe a long shot but tundra Trd pros including mine made a very annoying clunk noise in the front. Eventually Toyota issued a TSB. Clunk was attributed to the collapse/ crushing of skid plate spacer washers when skid plate bolts or screws were over torqued resulting in contact of skid plate to the under body. Clunk occurred when going over bumps or when suspension articulation occurred.New spacers and proper torque resolved the issue.

Brownie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Out of curiosity is anyone having the clunking issue on a 37 package? My truck is a 35 and is clunking, a buddy has a 37 and doesn’t have the issue. I saw another post mentioning their dealer said it was the shocks which makes me wonder if this is unique to the 35in version and the shocks that come on 35s.
Yep. I have a 37 and it's the exact same noise.

dblack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think there are two different "clunks" going on.

One is a distinctive sound that can be clearly heard on video.

The other is more of a sensation of a loose suspension component that can be felt in the wheel and pedals, but on video is not obviously distinct from the normal noises the tires and suspension make.

On my 2021 35" - I did not have the first problem but I definitely noticed the second one. On my truck, I believe the second problem was in fact largely due to side-to-side slop in the adjustable accelerator pedal assembly. If you grab the pedal with your hand, you will find that it is solid front-to-back but wobbles side-to-side quit a bit. I was able to fold a section of microfiber towel and wedge it behind the pedal adjustment mechanism in order to brace it. This removed the unpleasant feeling in the pedal and I'm quite happy with the truck now. At some point I will mention this to the dealer as a warranty concern but for the moment I'm just enjoying driving the truck.
If it is pedal-related, wouldn't other F150s experience it, too? Don't other trims have adjustable pedals? Has anyone checked other F150 forums to see if there are similar complaints?

sausage416

Reaction score
This maybe a long shot but tundra Trd pros including mine made a very annoying clunk noise in the front. Eventually Toyota issued a TSB. Clunk was attributed to the collapse/ crushing of skid plate spacer washers when skid plate bolts or screws were over torqued resulting in contact of skid plate to the under body. Clunk occurred when going over bumps or when suspension articulation occurred.New spacers and proper torque resolved the issue.
I feel like most other manufacturers can solve issues rather quickly, except ford, ford can’t even deliver 2021 trucks ‍♂️

Brownie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just came across this thread yesterday and it got me thinking. I have a 37 performance package and that sound from the right front suspension area was driving me nuts. A lot of you in here have already described it perfectly so I won't go into it. I jumped on the bandwagon and posted that yes, my truck experiences the same problem. But then I got to thinking that I haven't noticed it for a while. Did it go away? Was I just not noticing it anymore because I was getting used to the sounds? Today I took my usual Saturday Morning 6:30 a.m. Drive to breakfast. To get to the restaurant I cross a big, empty parking lot that is contoured very much like the face of the Moon. If the sound were still there, I would definitely hear it going across that parking lot.

The sound is gone. I have a little over 5,000 miles on the truck already, and the only thing I can think of is that whatever was causing the sound needed a little bit of a break in. I regularly play with the shock controls, switching from normal to sport to Baja. Perhaps that had something to do with it. Anyway, I wouldn't Panic just yet. Time and miles may very well take care of this issue for a lot of us.