Subtle Clunking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheSkinMusket

Reaction score
well did it go away after you took it in for the recall??
That's a great question that I don't really have an answer to. I don't remember noticing it much immediately prior to the recall and I have tried to focus on it afterward and there doesn't seem to be any significant rattle or clunk unless I am on the most washed out roads near me. The dealer said that my truck didn't have the loose insulator plates as described in the recall but they did rivet them down regardless.

2021White801a

Reaction score
Recall is for padding just about exhaust that can loosen over time and make contact with drive shaft, potentially scoring the front drive shaft over time. The safety recall is meant to better attach two pads used for sound attenuation I believe, with hardware. This doesn’t have to do with our clunk.

But I finally had the experience I was hoping for at my local dealer. They replaced both Fox front struts and clunk is definitely gone. Thank god. 2,800 miles later.

Best of luck to you all.

Tm2525ai

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Recall is for padding just about exhaust that can loosen over time and make contact with drive shaft, potentially scoring the front drive shaft over time. The safety recall is meant to better attach two pads used for sound attenuation I believe, with hardware. This doesn’t have to do with our clunk.

But I finally had the experience I was hoping for at my local dealer. They replaced both Fox front struts and clunk is definitely gone. Thank god. 2,800 miles later.

Best of luck to you all.
So, is there any indication Ford is going to address this issue before building with defectiove parts going forward?

elking

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I read some members shocks were replaced and now faulty struts. Looks like Fox is having some QA/QC issues.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
So, is there any indication Ford is going to address this issue before building with defectiove parts going forward?

There is absolutely, no freakin’ way they could halt production, wait for a replacement part to be developed, tested, QA’d, approved and ramped up for that. Particularly when not all of the ’21-’22 trucks are affected. And, we don’t know for certain this is the cause on more than 1 truck. Maybe Ford does, maybe they don’t.

They will fix it when they have a good idea what the issue is, actually and what’s needed to fix it. They want the trucks fixed as much as we do, it costs them money the longer this drags on.

TurboM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had my truck for 4 weeks now and have felt this so-called clunking going over bumps. This is before and after the latest recall was performed.

At the end of the day, the truck has a 36 month B2B warranty so I am just going to keep it in the back of my mind and see if it gets worse and warrants a mention to the service department. Until then, it just feels like a nit-picky thing that I will waste hours on hours in service with no solution. If and when someone finally finds the root cause I will take the truck in and tell them what they need to fix.

Cotaco

Reaction score
This maybe a long shot but tundra Trd pros including mine made a very annoying clunk noise in the front. Eventually Toyota issued a TSB. Clunk was attributed to the collapse/ crushing of skid plate spacer washers when skid plate bolts or screws were over torqued resulting in contact of skid plate to the under body. Clunk occurred when going over bumps or when suspension articulation occurred.New spacers and proper torque resolved the issue.
I had aftermarket skids on my tacoma and had loud clunking which were the spacers rubbing against the frame while the body rolled over turns into driveways. Figured it was suspension until I sold the skid and all the noise went away

RamseyF

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am thinking I hear it to. and it only has 100 miles. definitely not normal. I may be imagining it because ive read all this. its not like when my 18 had the sway bar links clunking. that I could tell exactly where it was coming from. and its way more subdued but something still there. going to go out for a longer drive tomorrow.

OP
OP
R

riv

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Best of luck to you all.
that's good news. I assume you had the clunk/rattle esp at lower speeds over bumps correct? how did they pinpoint the front struts??