SP542 Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
so whats the consensus about these spark plugs? Definitely do it?

if you want to do something, gap your stock plugs to .030 and be done with it.

while it made a small smoothness improvement, i hardly think it is worth the trouble ( and it takes all of 10 mins to do all 6 plugs).

chujk1985

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you want to do something, gap your stock plugs to .030 and be done with it.

while it made a small smoothness improvement, i hardly think it is worth the trouble ( and it takes all of 10 mins to do all 6 plugs).

What are the potential negatives of the SP542's? I read some of your issues, but it seemed unrelated to the plugs maybe?

Gargamel

Banned
Reaction score
I am surprised this new of a vehicle needs such high maintenance with spark plugs already. Aren't the plugs rated at 100k miles from the factory?

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
I am surprised this new of a vehicle needs such high maintenance with spark plugs already. Aren't the plugs rated at 100k miles from the factory?

it doesn't "need" them.

depending on the particular motor, these can sometimes smooth out idle and hesitation.

If you're experiencing any of the following: detonation, pre-ignition, or power loss; colder plugs could alleviate it.

I am surprised that more "gear heads" are not familiar with using different spark plugs to better tune their engine.

in all reality, for every 75-100 HP that is added to a motor, you'll generally want to go one step colder. ( be wary though, not all spark plug MFGs rate their temp ranges the same).

the leaner your AFR is, the colder the plug should be ( in general).

just remember colder heat range = faster heat transfer.

The fact that the tuners are saying that there is no need to change plugs leads me to believe that the AFRs on most tunes are fatter. ( and that they are being cautious with thier tunes.)

If you find that your motor is adding or removing lots of timing (like more than 3 degrees + or - during normal, steady throttle operation) this could perhaps be a solution that Ford certainly isn't going to offer you.

Last edited:

gily25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I install them yesterday, its very easy as there is lots of space to work, I space them to .027; I installed the Whipple CAI, tune and ADD intercooler, whipple suggest to space stock ones to .025" however they told me that if I have the SP542 it would be better to use them, so far the truck runs ok.

kandewinn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ran these for a few hundred miles. There was no magical moment once I added them. Fuel economy did not change. What did happen is My trucks computers did not like them. Truck slowly developed a rough idle, shift strategies seemed to become confused. Swapped back to my 22,000 mile oe plugs and every developing issue immediately went away.

Lesson Learned...If it ain't broke, don't fix it

Gsteve

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ran these for a few hundred miles. There was no magical moment once I added them. Fuel economy did not change. What did happen is My trucks computers did not like them. Truck slowly developed a rough idle, shift strategies seemed to become confused. Swapped back to my 22,000 mile oe plugs and every developing issue immediately went away.

Lesson Learned...If it ain't broke, don't fix it

odd , thats the first time anyone has reported a problem.