SP542 Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it’s time the SP542 gets a titled thread. There are posts about these little gems all over the forum in various threads from SPD to Whipple.

So post your setup, your experiences changing to the SP542 and your plug gap. Post why you changed and if it made the improvements you hoped.

For my own experience....

I had no issues with the factory plugs at 15k miles. MPT93 PRX, CAI, whipple intercooler, SPD adapters, FOMOCO catback.

I didn’t expect much. My hats off to you all for inspiring me. There is sharper throttle response. The low end, nonboosted power is smoother, and the idle is even smoother than it was before. It made the truck a little easier to drive and it’ll be easier to off-road with the improved low-end throttle control.

So the million dollar question....

Why?

GRANTED I left the gap on the plugs at .030.
I didn’t think .025 was necessary.

VSTOLG4

Reaction score
Installed them today on '18 @.25. It reminded of when you first change your oil...it seemed to run smoother and quieter. My son asked why the truck was so quiet today while sitting at a light.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So after 150 miles of driving I can say...

It’s the second best “upgrade” I’ve done to my truck after a tune. The visceral driving experience is significantly enhanced. There is a tighter connection between you, the truck, and the highway.

It’s as dialed in as any truck I’ve ever driven.
To all who have been squawking about this change.... I nod my head in gratitude.

Last edited:

kpg81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Makes me wonder why Ford didn't put these in from the factory, but glad it's a cheap and quick fix !! Made my truck run way better too.

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So after 150 miles of driving I can say...

It’s the second best “upgrade” I’ve done to my truck after a tune. The visceral driving experience is significantly enhanced. There is a tighter connection between you, the truck, and the highway.

It’s as dialed in as any truck I’ve ever driven.
To all who have been squawking about this change.... I nod my head in gratitude.

you have GOT to be ******* ******** me