Rear springs or bump stops first

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TAZMAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am trying to make a decision on what would benefit me more, bump stop kit or new rear springs?

I have a 2013 Crew Cab and it now has 560 miles on it. I don't drive it very much but I have been steadily building it up with parts. I have the ICON upper A-Arms, Method wheels, Falken Tires, hidden winch, and rigid lights up front. Every time I go to order something, it's 5-6 weeks on back order. I have the front on the mid perch and the truck stance is perfect in the rear at 1.5 inches higher than the front. I don't want the rear to set up any higher really so I am not sure what springs would be best for me. Eventually I will put new shocks on but I don't know that I would benefit much from it right now since I only really off road during hunting season. I would like to run 37's but I only have 5 inches of clearance at the garage door right now so the light bar will take up most of that.

Putting a lift kit on the garage is not an option!

Thanks in advance for the input.

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am trying to make a decision on what would benefit me more, bump stop kit or new rear springs?

I have a 2013 Crew Cab and it now has 560 miles on it. I don't drive it very much but I have been steadily building it up with parts. I have the ICON upper A-Arms, Method wheels, Falken Tires, hidden winch, and rigid lights up front. Every time I go to order something, it's 5-6 weeks on back order. I have the front on the mid perch and the truck stance is perfect in the rear at 1.5 inches higher than the front. I don't want the rear to set up any higher really so I am not sure what springs would be best for me. Eventually I will put new shocks on but I don't know that I would benefit much from it right now since I only really off road during hunting season. I would like to run 37's but I only have 5 inches of clearance at the garage door right now so the light bar will take up most of that.

Putting a lift kit on the garage is not an option!

Thanks in advance for the input.

Really if you never plan on hitting bumps very hard there isnt a reason to get the rear stuff. Some might to be safe so ask yourself how fast do you plan on hitting bumps. If you just off road for hunting you arent gonna want your hunting stuff bouncing around in the truck, yes?

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, I wouldn't upgrade unless you plan on really beating on it.

The progressive springs are softer than the stock. Therefore when your loaded up with hunting gear, it will sag a bit.

If you do go springs, go HD. You have a SCREW, so your truck is already 500 lbs heavier than the SCABS the standard duty springs were designed for.

If you think you might try jumping your truck, then perhaps bump stop, but not 100% necessary with a 2013.

Don't buy just to buy...

Why did you get aftermarket UCA?

Yukon Joe
GLRE Support Raptor
WWW.RUNRAPTORRUN.COM

ntm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely springs.
It's something you'll feel every time you drive it.
The bump stops only have value in those "holy sh*t" moments.

OP
OP
T

TAZMAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why did you get aftermarket UCA?
I did the ICON UCA to get the track width back after the mid perch adjustment and to get UCA's that were adjustable on the truck.

did you ever resolve your noise issues after installing your UCAs?
The noise was being caused by the Rigid Duallies hitting the bumper opening and transmitting the noise to the top of the frame.

My biggest issue with the rear springs is they all seem to raise the rear pretty high. I don't mind a half inch over what it is now but I don't want it to sit really high in the rear. As far as "off road" I may play with it once in a while (the truck that is!!) but I'm the type of person who will polish the shocks and re-undercoat the frame if it get scratched so I tend to be careful when off roading. Even my Polaris Ranger got washed and spray waxed after we took it out. This truck is kind of a toy for me but will get used during Coyote season this year. I was considering the rear bump stops in case I have to go over a plowed field at a high rate of speed!!lol

NickPic83

FRF Addict
Reaction score
For anyone with concerns of raising the rear to high u can get drop shackles to get it close to stock ride height. Sdhq has them and I am sure many of the other vendors can get them as well.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
I think everyone else pretty much covered it. Springs are going to be a "notice the difference all the time" type deal. Where as bumpstops are going to be a "Thank god I had that kit on there" type thing when you get in over your head. I tend to do that quite often since I push the truck when I'm in the dirt, so I went bumps first, but I also already had a bent frame, so the choice was more clear cut.

If you're not going to be getting after it in the desert, go leaf springs for sure.