Leaf Springs, Bump Stops, Shackles, and Traction bars

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jimmyjamm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Daily driver with occasional light off roading and some fun runs around Colorado/Utah. Nothing too crazy and no big jumps. You think traction bars instead of bump stop kit? I can't swing both right now on top of new springs and shackles.
I use my '18 Raptor as a daily and really for everything, work, towing, kids to school, you name it.
I have Deaver +3 HD (mainly because I do some towning and have tools in the back all the time), Camburg drop shackles and the RPG bump stop kit. When I put the Deavers and shackles on together that has eliminated the rear wheel hop, which I noticed by far the most in deep wet snow. The drop shackles lower the truck half the amount of shackled extension (2" extended shackle drops 1"; Camburg are 1.5" extended so dropped rear just about .75"). I haven't heard of anyone needing extended length shocks with the drop shackles.
The bump stop kit is really a nice upgrade for the future, if you aren't hard off-roading or towing with a decently heavy tongue weight, you can get by with the factory bump stops with extensions, just doesn't give a soft botttom out, that's it.
I don't have my truck tuned as I am under extended warranty and don't want to mess that up, so I haven't seen any additional need for a traction bar, torque strut, etc.

OP
OP
NickW

NickW

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the feedback, I ended up finding a place about 1.5 hours west in Grand Junction, Colorado that makes leaf springs. They are called Alcan Springs. I had them make me some +3” springs with an additional 200lb load capacity (removing the 2” block for a 1” lift). This saved me about $500 over ordering Deavers, which was nice. Springs were a bit challenging to swap out in the garage by myself, but it’s done.

I also grabbed a set of SVC stock-length shackles. In hindsight I probably could‘ve done a drop shackle, but I didn’t know where the ride height would end up. My factory leaf springs were sagging.

I installed the RPG bump stop kit at the same time as I expect I’ll need it once I start doing runs.

Overall my impression is similar to all the others who have swapped out the crap stock springs. Truck is night and day difference. The scary feeling that the truck was stepping out over highway bumps is gone and the it handles as it should have front the beginning. I have a slight rake now which is fine. I do also have Eibach springs in the front.

Here’s some pictures, I forgot to take one with the axle on jack stands and everything removed.

BEFORE

IMG_7900.jpeg

AFTER

IMG_7924.jpeg

In Progress Pics

IMG_7905.jpeg
IMG_7906.jpeg
FullSizeRender.jpeg

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Those are some clapped out OEM springs, sure mine will look like that or worse when I install my deavers.

Deavers, are here. Just need a little more $$$ for couple other things so I can do it all at once. I hate taking things apart multiple times

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the feedback, I ended up finding a place about 1.5 hours west in Grand Junction, Colorado that makes leaf springs. They are called Alcan Springs. I had them make me some +3” springs with an additional 200lb load capacity (removing the 2” block for a 1” lift). This saved me about $500 over ordering Deavers, which was nice. Springs were a bit challenging to swap out in the garage by myself, but it’s done.

I also grabbed a set of SVC stock-length shackles. In hindsight I probably could‘ve done a drop shackle, but I didn’t know where the ride height would end up. My factory leaf springs were sagging.

I installed the RPG bump stop kit at the same time as I expect I’ll need it once I start doing runs.

Overall my impression is similar to all the others who have swapped out the crap stock springs. Truck is night and day difference. The scary feeling that the truck was stepping out over highway bumps is gone and the it handles as it should have front the beginning. I have a slight rake now which is fine. I do also have Eibach springs in the front.

Here’s some pictures, I forgot to take one with the axle on jack stands and everything removed.

BEFORE

View attachment 420378

AFTER

View attachment 420379

In Progress Pics

View attachment 420380
View attachment 420381
View attachment 420382
Lucky you. (Alcan springs has been mentioned in a couple youtube videos).
Me, I contacted my local "spring" shop and when asked if they do anything for raptors. The answer was "yea we do a lot of air bags on raptors".

I knew instantly who was NOT my spring guy.
Ordered deavers the next day.

OP
OP
NickW

NickW

Reaction score
Looks good. But as you said, a drop shackle would be better.

Yeah I'll give the leaf springs some time to settle, then I'll look to see if I want to do a drop shackle. In hindsight I should've just waited on the shackle until I saw where the truck would sit, but wanted to do it all at the same time.

Lucky you. (Alcan springs has been mentioned in a couple youtube videos).
Me, I contacted my local "spring" shop and when asked if they do anything for raptors. The answer was "yea we do a lot of air bags on raptors".

I knew instantly who was NOT my spring guy.
Ordered deavers the next day.

They seem to know what they are doing and they were easy to work with. Too bad you didn't go with the air bags, could've done a sweet set up on some 24" chrome spinners!