GEN 1 Lift Shackles with Add a Leaf Setup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PoolManRaptor87

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've searched the forums and the Internet and I haven't found anyone that has tried the setup I'll soon be attempting on a Gen1 raptor.
The plan is to add a 2.5inch lift Add-A-Leaf to my leaf spring packs, along with re-arking(cold arking) the remaining stock leafs in the pack. Painting them, and rebuilding them with all new hardware. Even plan to ark the smaller thicker bottom flat helper spring into the pack as well.
Plan to attach them with 2inch lift shackles, NOT DROP SHACKLES. Then to top it all off, removing the stock lift block between the leaf packs and Axel.
My hope is, I can ark the leafs for roughly 3 inches of lift, which would roughly give me the same height as with the lift blocks I'm removing, then the lift shackles will bring her up another 1.5" roughly.
That way, the leaf packs will be much stronger, especially with the add-a-leaf AND the thick bottom flat leaf arked into the pack. I'll hopefully have less wheel-hop, since removing the blocks. And the 1.25-1.5" lift from the 2" lift shackles will level out my stance. Because at the moment my headlights are aimed at the sky due to my front being much higher than my rear.
I realize the blocks are where the stock bump stops land on. So down the road I plan to install the black sumosprings to bump off the axel directly. Screenshot_20230914-230507.pngScreenshot_20230914-230518.pngNot just to have a functional bump stop, but to also help with towing capacity. Picture above shows kit on a stock f150(without the 1" optional spacer it comes with), so I believe I'll have anywhere between 2.5-4" between these and the axel before they engage. Just plan to take it easy till I get that far.
Currently have the Add-A-Leaf kit pictured below and the lift shackles pictured below as well. Screenshot_20230811-010903.pngScreenshot_20230914-230214.pngLuckily the add a leaf kit comes with allot (but not all) of the hardware needed to rebuild my leaf packs after I'm done with them. In the process now of making the Jig I'll need to Re-ark(cold ark) my leaf springs.
I know I'm going to lose some articulation with this setup, which is fine by me. As my truck is a pavement princess and work *****. I've already lost some articulation up front with my Gen2 shocks and springs. Just looking to add a little more lift, get some bounce back in my currently completely flat rear leaf springs, maybe add a little to the towing capacity, and hopefully get rid of or partially move in a better direction in reference to rear wheel hop. Luckily the Gen2 rear shock is a little longer so the added lift shouldn't bother the rear at all shock wise.
Hoping to have my Re-arking Jig finished by next week, then hopefully ripping into the leaf packs the following weekend. Main reason I'm not going the proven path of deavers and drop shackles, is purely due to economical restraints, and the fact I believe this setup may work to get the results I'm looking for.
Hopefully next sideshot pic of my truck has a much better rake than it currently does.
Keep in mind the bed is completely empty in this pic(which it NEVER is), and I'm also running without spare. Hoping to end up a little higher than this(OR EVEN ROUGHLY THIS HEIGHT) with my tools in the back.
PXL_20230820_014652825.jpg
I'll come back, post pics, and report end results.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, good luck.
Stock leaf springs are garbage, no matter what you try to add, results will be poor.
And having the bump stop hit axle tube is just asking for trouble.
Then adding longer shackles is going to give you more rear end sway movement.
I see you're looking for longer shackles thinking it will raise the back but that's not how it works.
The longer the shackle the more the rear of the spring pack will be higher up on the frame, thus lowering the truck.
So you can save some coin on shackles.

I would look around where you live and find spring shop, they can and will build you something to what you want.
Maybe for half the price of Real Progressive Performance Springs like Deavers or Icons.

But it's your truck your money.

Last edited:

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you can always get the leafs re arched. i did on mine and gave it a 1in lift, however i have a 13 leaf pack. i keep a lot of stuff in the back though so its where i want it to set.

duh..... just saw the last part

OP
OP
PoolManRaptor87

PoolManRaptor87

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, good luck.
Stock leaf springs are garbage, no matter what you try to add, results will be poor.
I see you're looking for longer shackles thinking it will raise the back but that's not how it works.
The longer the shackle the more the rear of the spring pack will be higher up on the frame, thus lowering the truck.

I would look around where you live and find spring shop, they can and will build you something to what you want.
Maybe for half the price of Real Progressive Performance Springs like Deavers or Icons.

Appreciate the input bud. I didn't get longer drop shackles like 90% of the guys here have, with their deavers or icons. I got shorter Lift shackles. Im very positive they will be lifting the truck. Likely not the 2" they claim, but at least half of that. The regular F150 guys use them all the time.
We'll see what happens. Very Little money invested so if it doesn't work out no harm no foul.

myersroofer614

Full Access Member
Reaction score
unfortunately too often... asking for advices, help, and no update... It was an interesting story, but no end...
I can't see what I commented on. I' love by Livernois Motorsports n they are amazing to work with. What was it? I can talk to Fletch there...

myersroofer614

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, good luck.

Ty. I know a guy!!

OP
OP
PoolManRaptor87

PoolManRaptor87

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately shorty after gathering everything I needed I started having trans issues, which took priority. I ended up throwing the lift shackles on one day just to level it out a little, which it definitely did. Definitely doesn't look as stupid with weight in it now either.
But trying to fix my trans and limp my truck along while at the peak of my busy season took way more time than expected. I did end up getting another 4.5k out of the trans before it was no longer drivable. After a trans service, valve body replacement, shift kit, zip kit, Amsoil trans fluid, and extra trans cooler. Unfortunately I believe my TC is blown at this point. Have a used 6R80 w/TC in my truck bed at the moment out of a 2012 f150 4x4 5.0L that's going in as soon as weather permits.
Likely won't get to the rear leafs until after trans is all set. It's been down for a few weeks now unfortunately.