GEN 2 Plastic Oil pan #3 leaking. 70k miles. New pan every other oil change. Help?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Traffic22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The transmission pan is sealed with a conventional gasket, not RTV. So no need to worry.
Cool thanks. I must have read either the procedure wrong, or the wrong procedure....I thought they used a 4mm bead or RTV that had to cure overnight.

I feel better knowing there is a real gasket. (Thanks for the info.)

Is this the current procedure? What am I missing? Just trying to understand.

On a side note, thanks for the info on the tail lights, Ford is replacing under warranty.

View attachment MC-10171915-0001.pdf

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

zemuron99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool thanks. I must have read either the procedure wrong, or the wrong procedure....I thought they used a 4mm bead or RTV that had to cure overnight.

It also seems you're confusing the TRANSMISSION pan (probably not leaking/being replaced) with the OIL pan.

Traffic22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It also seems you're confusing the TRANSMISSION pan (probably not leaking/being replaced) with the OIL pan.
Is the procedure I linked for the Trans Pan? It says Oil pan, and references changing oil filter and allowing crank case to drain.

My leak is oil, not trans pan, that I am clear on. Am I reading the wrong procedure?

Wouldn’t be the first time I pulled a ******** move like that, but I thought I was clear in this.

zemuron99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Spoke to dealership late this morning, they initially claimed “repair on transmission is done.” (They’re waiting in parts for tail-light replacements because my had internal cracking under warranty)

When I told them It didn’t seem possible for the tranny to be done yet, because the RTV would not have had time to set; service adviser said he was re-reading the notes, and it wouldn’t be ready till tomorrow because “it wasn’t quite ready.”

This was in your earlier post. As FTOne stated, the tranny pan has a conventional gasket, not RTV sealing, and is likely not the issue.

Traffic22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This was in your earlier post. As FTOne stated, the tranny pan has a conventional gasket, not RTV sealing, and is likely not the issue.
Ok got it now. I think he thought I was referencing tranny, not oil. All makes sense now. My earlier post was messed up, should have said oil pan.

Told you I’m prone to the occasional numb assery.

Last edited:

Solidred

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok got it now. I think he thought I was referencing tranny, not oil. All makes sense now. My earlier post was messed up, should have said oil pan.

Told you I’m prone to the occasional numb assery.

Your service write up show they replaced the pan?

Traffic22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your service write up show they replaced the pan?
Don’t know. Scheduled to pick it up tomorrow. We’ll see how it goes. I have to say, so far this new to me dealership has been professional, patient with my questions, and seem eager to make things go smoothly.

Both my tail lights had micro cracking along the top. Lighting equipment is a little tricky, because so many things are not the responsibility of the manufacturer. They handled it seamlessly. Listened to what I had to say, checked it (as they should), got approval from Ford, and ordered me 2 brand new BLISS tail lights, all without issue.

I’ll check the service write up when I pick up the truck tomorrow, and report back.

I’m a little nervous they didn’t let the RTV set long enough, but based on how I’ve been treated thus far, I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt at this point.

Solidred

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can't determine the true oil level until the truck has been through a cold soak (overnight). That is the reason the Owner's Manual states that after a 15 minute period, do not to add oil as long as the level is between the upper and lower mark.

checked the oil after a cold soak and it was just a tad above the top hole…pulled out the 1/2 quart I added earlier. Thanks again

OP
OP
xrocket21

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Anyone have the oil pan replacement procedure? I would like the torque specs.

Traffic22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone have the oil pan replacement procedure? I would like the torque specs.

It’s linked several times here, look at post 91....but I don’t think it’s in the repair proceedure, I think you’re going to need Ford work shop manual.

From the last line in the procedure....

“Install the new oil pan. Refer to the WSM, Section 303-01.”