GEN 2 Plastic Oil pan #3 leaking. 70k miles. New pan every other oil change. Help?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is why you never buy the first year or 2 of a brand new design...keep saying it, & absolutely goes for the gen3 too, there will be growing pains

don’t be the test mule AND the sucker who pays ADM @ same time!!!

OP
OP
xrocket21

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is why you never buy the first year or 2 of a brand new design...keep saying it, & absolutely goes for the gen3 too, there will be growing pains

don’t be the test mule AND the sucker who pays ADM @ same time!!!

Yeah man, I definitely should have rode my bike for a year till the second model year...

Sometimes when you need a vehicle you need a vehicle.

edit: ADM lol, I ordered my truck custom exactly how I wanted and paid $1k under MSRP in December 2016 and got the truck March 2017.

OP
OP
xrocket21

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It’s linked several times here, look at post 91....but I don’t think it’s in the repair proceedure, I think you’re going to need Ford work shop manual.

From the last line in the procedure....

“Install the new oil pan. Refer to the WSM, Section 303-01.”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No, it isn't, a tsb telling me to clean and prep the surface isn't super helpful. I need the torque specs.

Traffic22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, it isn't, a tsb telling me to clean and prep the surface isn't super helpful. I need the torque specs.
I think you misread what I was saying...I was agreeing you need a work shop manual.

I’ve been searching for the last half hour, trying to help you out and find it for you, but no luck so far.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah man, I definitely should have rode my bike for a year till the second model year...

Sometimes when you need a vehicle you need a vehicle.

edit: ADM lol, I ordered my truck custom exactly how I wanted and paid $1k under MSRP in December 2016 and got the truck March 2017.

not a knock on you personally man....it’s simply the way things work, you know why Toyota still holds their “reliability” rep? They don’t change shit just keep the same tired design & Keep on addressing any small dumb issues as they crop up (well not all but that’s another story)

kinda the same reason I’m not personally jumping all over any of these covid vaccines...rushed out real quick & their the first iteration, I think I’d rather take moderna v3.0 in 18 months lol

Look at when the C6 vette debuted....made a good bit of aesthetic changes from
The C5 platform, but if you were one of the people who “had” to get the next latest greatest new version of the Vette - you’d have wound up w/ a vehicle w/ a vastly inferior transmission (esp the auto) & engine compared to the last couple model years when they all had the LS3 & 6 speeds.....

I sorta chimed that in more as a reminder to the many people friending to jump on a gen3 right now.....be careful what you wish for is all I’ll say

also.....I HAD an ‘18 Raptor (metal pan) & now have a ‘20....is it a better truck overall? Yes- both subjectively & objectively- & I can say that from experience.

that being said....having the last model year of an outgoing design comes w/ drawbacks too, while more kinks have been ironed out & you usually get some better equipment standard (seems so in Ford world) In a 5-6 year model cycle you wind up w/ a “brand new truck” that immediately can look “old” depending on how much the manufacturer changes things up. Luckily in the case of Ford & the F150/Raptor from what I can tell the standard F150 looks almost the same from outside, but better inside. The Raptor version has taken steps backward in terms of exterior looks (& I think many would agree) but has some significant suspension/tire design advantages & the nicer interior.

Again I’ll stay on the sidelines for now

but hey...look on the bright side, you have tranny indicators that light up & ambient lighting!

OP
OP
xrocket21

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
not a knock on you personally man....it’s simply the way things work, you know why Toyota still holds their “reliability” rep? They don’t change shit just keep the same tired design & Keep on addressing any small dumb issues as they crop up (well not all but that’s another story)

kinda the same reason I’m not personally jumping all over any of these covid vaccines...rushed out real quick & their the first iteration, I think I’d rather take moderna v3.0 in 18 months lol

Look at when the C6 vette debuted....made a good bit of aesthetic changes from
The C5 platform, but if you were one of the people who “had” to get the next latest greatest new version of the Vette - you’d have wound up w/ a vehicle w/ a vastly inferior transmission (esp the auto) & engine compared to the last couple model years when they all had the LS3 & 6 speeds.....

I sorta chimed that in more as a reminder to the many people friending to jump on a gen3 right now.....be careful what you wish for is all I’ll say

also.....I HAD an ‘18 Raptor (metal pan) & now have a ‘20....is it a better truck overall? Yes- both subjectively & objectively- & I can say that from experience.

that being said....having the last model year of an outgoing design comes w/ drawbacks too, while more kinks have been ironed out & you usually get some better equipment standard (seems so in Ford world) In a 5-6 year model cycle you wind up w/ a “brand new truck” that immediately can look “old” depending on how much the manufacturer changes things up. Luckily in the case of Ford & the F150/Raptor from what I can tell the standard F150 looks almost the same from outside, but better inside. The Raptor version has taken steps backward in terms of exterior looks (& I think many would agree) but has some significant suspension/tire design advantages & the nicer interior.

Again I’ll stay on the sidelines for now

but hey...look on the bright side, you have tranny indicators that light up & ambient lighting!

No worries, just saying you dont always have a choice!!!

My tranny indicators do light up, but my 801a does not have ambient lighting.

Traffic22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IDK what manual that vehicle is for, but that's not what a 2 piece 3.5 pan looks like.
According to Chilton, that’s the 3.5 economist pan, but that’s why I said to verify. (It’s Chilton, not Ford)

Sorry I couldn’t be more help, hope you find what you’re looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: