GEN 2 Motor Trend Review Raptor vs ZR2 vs Power Wagon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just heard from a source in Ford Performance: New engine that Sasquatch77 keeps lying about not only doesn’t exist, E/B is in the next gen Rap as well.

I'm curious about a new rear suspension if you get to ask follow up questions.

cardude99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just heard from a source in Ford Performance: New engine that Sasquatch77 keeps lying about not only doesn’t exist, E/B is in the next gen Rap as well.

good, i love the tq curve that the eco boost delivers, i test drove one over the weekend and i was not disappointed. i was pleasantly surprised on how nice the engine sounded too. Is a v8 nice, yes, but they dont pull like this thing did.

Sasquatch77

Banned
Reaction score
good, i love the tq curve that the eco boost delivers, i test drove one over the weekend and i was not disappointed. i was pleasantly surprised on how nice the engine sounded too. Is a v8 nice, yes, but they dont pull like this thing did.

And they don't last like the ecoboost.... the v8 actually lasts much longer.

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
When the raptor is available with the new engine choice, it will win all the awards. The 3.5 ecopuke really holds the truck back. It's pretty ****** when the engine is the same between the Raptor and a Chevy COLORADO. Again, ford *****'ed the Raptor on this cycle. Their lighter pocketbook and v8 demand has forced their hand.

That's interesting considering the Eco Boost was by far their favorite out of the trio.

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If I was buying a truck for strictly off-road, I'd probably get the ZR2 because it's better suited, due to it's size, for the off-roading I'd be doing most of.

However, that's not all I'll be doing. It will see tons more on-road driving and the anemic by comparison engine in the ZR2 will make for a rather boring experience there. Passenger comfort is also a priority for me. Both trucks fit 5 adults, but only one fits 5/5 comfortably.

Then of course, there's the looks. I find the Raptor far more appealing than a ZR2, or any other truck for that matter.

8WOOD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Who wants to buy a Canyon or a Colorado? Those trucks are ugly and don't have any soul. People who buy those types of cars are the type of people who live alone with cats and spend their weekends taking strolls alone through public parks. It's a magazine review and could be biased in so many ways. Magizine editors also feel it their duty to point out key issues in the hopes that the high visibility will make the manufacturers make them better in the future (which is good). If I was on that trip and had to get stuck with one of the trucks I'd pick Raptor all day long.