Raptor R Vs TRX Motortrend 1/13/23

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

04Ram2500Hemi

It's Just a Username
Reaction score
As a former Raptor owner (2nd Gen) and current TRX owner, I‘m not surprised by the review. Both the R and the TRX are amazing vehicles. I would expect the R weighing less would make it more nimble and quicker. I also think the R with 37’s gives it an edge, and honestly I prefer the BFG’s over the Good Year’s on the TRX. If I could swap the TRX straight across for an R, it would be tempting.

For me personally, I feel like I got a fantastic deal on my 2021 TRX. My Level II TRX stickered for $85,000 and I paid $79,000 after the 7/75K bumper to bumper extended warranty. The R is just not $30,000 better to me than my TRX.

Equally priced sure, the R may be the better vehicle. Ford set the standard with the Raptor, and it makes sense they would step it up with the R when going after the TRX. Let’s be honest, it’s an amazing time we are living in with vehicles like this!

04Ram2500Hemi

It's Just a Username
Reaction score
The problem I’ve always had with Motor Trend is they jump on the latest thing then tend to judge previous winners more harshly. Let’s not forget the TRX was the Truck of the year back in 2021. I’m not here to say the R isn’t better, but let’s take Motor Trend for what it is.

”The 2021 Ram 1500 TRX is a truck that resets the standard of what's possible. It is a game-changer, both on- and off-road: a truck equally capable towing and hauling as it is ripping donuts in a field or whipping sports cars in drag races. The TRX is not just the 2021 MotorTrend Truck of the Year—the unprecedented third consecutive time Ram has won—but the new benchmark that all supertrucks must beat.”

”Driven more sedately on a freeway or around town, and the Ram TRX can be remarkably calm. The rip-roaring Hellcat engine—which is equal parts air raid siren and Godzilla roar at full throttle—purrs quietly when puttering along on surface streets. The ride, with 13 inches of suspension travel up front and 14 in back, is unsurprisingly well-sorted, easily erasing potholes, expansion joints, speed bumps, and—to the dismay of our facilities manager—parking lot curbs, without transmitting the impact to the cabin's occupants. "It's supremely comfortable and relaxing to drive," associate road test editor Erick Ayapana said.”

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
The problem I’ve always had with Motor Trend is they jump on the latest thing then tend to judge previous winners more harshly. Let’s not forget the TRX was the Truck of the year back in 2021. I’m not here to say the R isn’t better, but let’s take Motor Trend for what it is.

”The 2021 Ram 1500 TRX is a truck that resets the standard of what's possible. It is a game-changer, both on- and off-road: a truck equally capable towing and hauling as it is ripping donuts in a field or whipping sports cars in drag races. The TRX is not just the 2021 MotorTrend Truck of the Year—the unprecedented third consecutive time Ram has won—but the new benchmark that all supertrucks must beat.”

”Driven more sedately on a freeway or around town, and the Ram TRX can be remarkably calm. The rip-roaring Hellcat engine—which is equal parts air raid siren and Godzilla roar at full throttle—purrs quietly when puttering along on surface streets. The ride, with 13 inches of suspension travel up front and 14 in back, is unsurprisingly well-sorted, easily erasing potholes, expansion joints, speed bumps, and—to the dismay of our facilities manager—parking lot curbs, without transmitting the impact to the cabin's occupants. "It's supremely comfortable and relaxing to drive," associate road test editor Erick Ayapana said.”

They didn't have a Raptor to drive it back to back against the TRX, maybe it's that much better?

04Ram2500Hemi

It's Just a Username
Reaction score