GEN 2 Motor Trend Review Raptor vs ZR2 vs Power Wagon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xxaarraa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When the raptor is available with the new engine choice, it will win all the awards. The 3.5 ecopuke really holds the truck back. It's pretty ****** when the engine is the same between the Raptor and a Chevy COLORADO. Again, ford *****'ed the Raptor on this cycle. Their lighter pocketbook and v8 demand has forced their hand.

Yes, they also forgot the weep hole remember

Ltl6pack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live in South Carolina and run tires psi at 38. Truck handles the gravel and dirt roads very well. I also have about 125 pounds in a small tool box mounted in the bed. It was nice to see in this review that the Motor in the Raptor had the most power and that they all liked it and the 10 speed transmission better than the rest. My Raptor is still a little light in the rear but does not act up like these guys are saying, wonder if the tire pressure on there truck was at 45 or even 50 psi. When mine came in it had 50 psi in them,

gryGhst17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not apples to apples. Did anyone notice the specs of each truck? weight of the ram is 7k lbs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NASSTY

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It's not apples to apples. Did anyone notice the specs of each truck? weight of the ram is 7k lbs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Makes no sense to me to compare a mid-size truck to a .5 ton truck and a .75 ton truck and each one has different tires.

WhatExit?

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Most likely the additional weight in the Ram is what made it feel more planted on the loose terrain. The Raptor's extra power probably also made rear end more skittish. But just guesses on my part.

Correct.

It's all about tools and applications. Which is better a rubber mallet, a hammer or a sledge?

Why include a Power Wagon and not include a Super Duty F-250? Why include those the ZR2 and not include a Taco?

Here's the gist of the Raptor's story according to those geniuses at Motor **** (a horrible magazine) - the underlines are my additions:

Third place goes to the mighty Ford F-150 Raptor. “The Raptor was my odds-on favorite before we got to Canada,” Scott said. “The biggest problem with the Raptor is its failure to perform the one job we brought it for: going fast off-road.” We know the Raptor is capable of going fast on the dunes of the West Coast, but on the loose-packed gravel and the mud and dirt trails of northeastern Canada, the Ford is out of its element.

Nothing was more telling than its performance on the TLH proper. “On the off-road sections, the Raptor’s rear end kept moving dramatically from side to side on the dry gravel, but things got even worse when the rain started coming down and the road deteriorated,” Miguel said. Its drive modes only made it marginally more stable, but even with four-wheel drive engaged or in Sand/Mud or Weather modes, the Raptor handled the brutal TLH far worse than the other trucks. “At speed off-road, the rear end was never settled, never confident,” Scott said. “Isn’t that what this truck is designed for?”

As disappointed as we were with the Raptor, there’s still plenty to love. Its powertrain is easily the best of this group, with effortless power and seamless shifts. It rides phenomenally, and even more impressive is that it drives like a big sport sedan on pavement. Still, we expected more from the Ford.

Yeah, sure. The Raptor didn't do well going fast off road. Right!

Fer ****'s sake, if they put a couple-three hundred pounds of something in the back to give the rear end some weight the results would've been different.

The Raptor weighs less than the P-Ram and its rear end is much lighter.

You can tell the comparison is ******** when the puny ground clearance of the ZR2 didn't make a difference. Really?! 8.9 inches with tiny tires. Good luck with that off road. And if a ZR2 owner tries to put bigger tires he'll be throwing out the best part of that truck - the shocks. Enjoy that. At least they can get good money for them as take-offs.

Who the hell goes off road without preparing for the conditions? Magazine editors that's who! :flipthebird:

Last edited: