GEN 2 Motor Trend Review Raptor vs ZR2 vs Power Wagon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I knew they had this, but for some reason I thought it was over a grand. I might have to, uh, spring for it when I get my deavers and bump stops.

All together, that should be a pretty sweet setup and hopefully calms the rear end down. I don't know if anybody has reported back yet on Gen 2 but I can tell you my deavers are one of the best mods I did to my Gen 1. Hopefully they are a big improvement for you guys, as well.

ovrlnd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I just need someone to spot me five grand for that and all the other mods I want to do.

OP
OP
B

brownkc81

Reaction score
I live in NC and there are a lot of loose gravel backroads with braking/acceleration bumps so hopefully the Raptor will handle these well. I ordered mine 7/24 so I'll have to wait a few months to test it out. But I think it will handle way better compared to what I'm used to (2001 Tundra TRD). Got to test the Raptor on pavement and fell in love.

bailer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My '10 Ram2500 crew, shortbox had the same offset shock setup as the Raptor.

I drive lots of washboard gravel and the '17 Raptor screw is definitely more planted. It is one of the first things I noticed. Both trucks with 35/12.5/17's.

Have they redone the rear ends on the Ram2500's ?? If not I'm calling ********.

vitaminR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
5 link rear with coil springs now.

Interesting read. My dad has a black 17 power wagon and Ive ordered an 18 black raptor. Should be interesting dinner conversation.

I drove his truck yesterday actually and over some washboard gravel going pretty slow it was brutally rough but expected. (I didn't want to go fast because it has less than 1,000 miles on it and it's not mine, it was freshly washed and it's black.) LOL

I expect honesty the power wagon is better fit for my area (rural VA) but I just like the styling and ammenities of the ford better. And it's way freakin faster.

That being said every Dodge around here more then 4 years old has rust on the rear wheel wells so something is going on there.

xxaarraa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't think the review was legit. There was more annoying music playing than actual high quality journalism. When they say one of the best things in the power wagon is the manual transfer case, it makes you wonder how much these guys know about offroading.

cardude99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
raptor is a great truck, looking forward to owning one in a few months when my order is in, but it is never going to win every magazine battle. There are a few subjective things that it will always have going for it, looks amazing, faster than hell, attention getter, and very comfortable. The Raptor is great at some of the things it does and is good at everything it does, while for this specific test the ram was better suited i would wager that the Raptor would win majority of the time in different tests. While these trucks are apples to oranges i still think it was a cool test none the less.

Sasquatch77

Banned
Reaction score
When the raptor is available with the new engine choice, it will win all the awards. The 3.5 ecopuke really holds the truck back. It's pretty ****** when the engine is the same between the Raptor and a Chevy COLORADO. Again, ford *****'ed the Raptor on this cycle. Their lighter pocketbook and v8 demand has forced their hand.