GEN 2 Motor Trend Review Raptor vs ZR2 vs Power Wagon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

racerjb

Reaction score
From what I read in that article, it seams like they never went over 65mph...so complaining about the raptor not handling at speed is a joke.. of course they should have been doing 80mph and they would never have felt any potholes.

I do feel the raptor has been getting too many good articles so they probably had to say something else was better so Chevy and Dodge don't get upset and pull their marketing ads...I've owned a new dodge (not the power wagon but close)..no way is it comparable to the raptor...other than towing or hauling stuff...then for sure the power wagon would be best. Plus they were complaining they couldn't get enough air in the tires for the power wagon...over 65psi?..

Article was lame, to be honest the raptor is perfect for that trip... super smooth, balanced, great fuel mpg, std with 35s, etc.

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
From what I read in that article, it seams like they never went over 65mph...so complaining about the raptor not handling at speed is a joke.. of course they should have been doing 80mph and they would never have felt any potholes.

I do feel the raptor has been getting too many good articles so they probably had to say something else was better so Chevy and Dodge don't get upset and pull their marketing ads...I've owned a new dodge (not the power wagon but close)..no way is it comparable to the raptor...other than towing or hauling stuff...then for sure the power wagon would be best. Plus they were complaining they couldn't get enough air in the tires for the power wagon...over 65psi?..

Article was lame, to be honest the raptor is perfect for that trip... super smooth, balanced, great fuel mpg, std with 35s, etc.

The ZR2 has been getting a lot of undeserved praise IMO. Like this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0mp0pvAnaU

The guys are complaining that the Tacoma is so rough and jarring off road at high speed, then they get into the ZR2 and talk about how much more "plush" it is even though the guy is being bounced around just as much, if not more and being launched into the ceiling.

Frank N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What a load or nonsense...tomorrow we compare the new Camaro to Camry in the streets of NYC...

Anyone catch this is the article? When they needed to get somewhere fast, they took the Raptor...

We hit the highway, our time cushion long gone. The dried-out TLH covers every truck but the leader in impenetrable dust. I decide to speed ahead in the Raptor to try to stall the ferry until the rest catch up. The road has smoothed back out, and the Ford is finally behaving like it ought to, but I’ve got it in Weather mode, just in case. The Raptor is flying in its element, and we’re exceeding the speed limit in ways I won’t describe lest Canada seek extradition.

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Fairly certain tire pressure was too high. Every case where people have reported the back end being skittish they went back to find their pressure was way too high. Had the drivers dropped the pressure even a bit (say, 30 in the back) I'm sure it would have been a whole different story.

But you have to do a dissenting view every now and then, right?

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Fairly certain tire pressure was too high. Every case where people have reported the back end being skittish they went back to find their pressure was way too high. Had the drivers dropped the pressure even a bit (say, 30 in the back) I'm sure it would have been a whole different story.

But you have to do a dissenting view every now and then, right?

“Magazine numbers are $hit” -
These were the words of my bike mechanic when I bought my ZX11 to him with the goal of breaking 150rwhp with nothing but bolt ons. He had a database of 4 dozen, not one producing more than 142. by the time I’d finished I did break 155 at the wheel but not without going into the motor. The bike magazines benefitted from hand assembled, balanced engines that were from the same batch as “super stock” machines, but not something they disclosed. The practice became less favored in years to come but they still play games with reviews allowing marques like Ducati and Aprilia to be tested with race ecu/exhaust because they won’t fuel properly with street parts.

All magazine reviews - good and bad - have to be taken with a lot of salt. There are advertisement concerns, marketing, paying the bills (of the magazine publisher) that often lead to “puff piece” reviews. Firearms magazines are notoriously bad for this, whitewashing, excusing, rationalizing or otherwise not owning up to malfunctions or defects.

Most importantly though, you have to consider that the author and reviewers all have their own biases, just like every other human. These reviews are the perspective of the authors, nothing more.

Like some of us, I’ve pushed the Rap pretty hard on and off road. Not the hardest core of us, but I’ve made use of the truck’s design features. In one important part of the review about the rear end, I wholeheartedly and completely disagree with the authors and I will stand by that assessment, however, I wasn’t on the ‘course’ they used so I can only offer my perspective of what they wrote. Lots of us put up videos of Raptor Assault and they pretty much speak for themselves. Not the exact same terrain, but a pretty good sampling.

Not everyone is going to like our trucks, we don’t even have to leave FRF for that. I’m confident I made the correct purchase and I don’t need blog or magazine or anyone else to tell me one way or the other.

dewalt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Smoked the compressor trying to get pressure high enough in Ram. Either a lot of weight in back end of Ram, or a lot of incompetence

Msb.19d

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anybody know where I can order one of these Rams at for msrp or close? Was set on getting a raptor but Now it has to be the Ram

8WOOD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah, please buy it as MSRP because it will be worth 20k less in a year. :) You can buy any ram for like 10-15k below sticker at the end of the year.