Lightweight, Quiet, Road-centric All-Terrain Tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

esigfrid250

Reaction score
Designed was the wrong word, Ford and BFGoodrich engineers went through more than a dozen variations to ensure the tires matched the extreme performance expected from Raptor.

OP
OP
titanjc

titanjc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another one for the Cooper AT3 xlt's. I'm running the 37", 6 tire rotation with 45K on them. I'm in Wisconsin and my truck is my dd, don't matter the weather the Coopers handle it all. When I first got my truck it had the Toyo M/T's, would get stuck in the car wash, had to put in 4x to get out. The road noise I thought was okay until I put the Coopers on, the Toyo's were really loud.
Great feedback, thanks. How is the tread wear and road noise with 45k on the Coopers? Have they become considerably louder? How many more miles do you think you’ll get out of them?

OP
OP
titanjc

titanjc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are seriously considering Nitto Terras, just go ahead and jump to Ridge Grapplers. So much better on the truck. I am cringing at the thought of basic street tires. They can’t be that much louder, maybe a couple dbs???
I would also say I had zero issues in rain and snow with my Ridge Grapplers.
My KO2s were so loud at 40k miles I jettisoned them 5k miles early to go to Ridge Grapplers. Can’t yet report on noise levels of the Grapplers at higher miles, but I dropped from 75db interior level at 65mph with old KO2s to about 66db same speed and road with the Grapplers. I was able to test same conditions in a standard F150 with street GY Wranglers and got 64db.
The Ridge Grappler is a nice tire no doubt, I had a set on my last truck. However, they are also nearly 71 lbs. each., woof.

OP
OP
titanjc

titanjc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Eh, I don’t think so. But maybe?

View attachment 165776

I’m no expert on truck tires, as this is my first truck and I got it used with these Pirelli Scorpion AT+ already on it. But I’ve taken it off road without issue onto dirt mountain roads and somewhat icy conditions at one point. I can’t complain. They’ve been through Appalachian storms and I live in one of the rainiest parts of Florida. I remember the tire noise on my dad’s Jeep and F-150s when I was a kid. I don’t hear these at all, I often drive with the windows down, and they are excellent in our rain.

You know when you’re in other states in a downpour and the only other person crazy enough to pass you is also from Florida? I’ve been that guy on every roadtrip since I bought my truck.

I’d say that for Florida, the Pirelli’s are fine. I’ll have to sand test it further out in Croom, but I don’t think I’ll have an issue. If we dealt with blow sand or something like that it might be a different story.

View attachment 165778

That said, those Cooper’s look nice. It’ll be a difficult decision for me when my Raptor needs new shoes.
I think the Pirellis look great, appreciate the wet handling feedback.

hkguns

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You got over 40K miles on the KO2's. The correct answer is staring you in the face from your current wheels.

Sonicsunspot

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Ridge Grappler is a nice tire no doubt, I had a set on my last truck. However, they are also nearly 71 lbs. each., woof.
Agreed, they are a bit heavy. I lost about .5mpg. I’m generally not drag racing my truck so my only concession was the mpg loss.

Louisiana Barefoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought my Raptor because I like the looks over anything out there. I'm not planning on offroad and in Louisiana, snow is unheard of. I bought the truck from Ft Worth with Nitto Terra Grapplers and the whole 515 mile ride home I complained about the road noise and vibration through the steering wheel. I still have 9/32 of tread left. I swapped out with Toyo Open Country AT2 that I have on my other truck just to check the ride quality which is my priority since it will be used mostly on the interstate and back country asphalt roads. The ride with the Toyos (on an 18" rim ) was much quieter and didn't have the vibration I was experiencing with Nitto. Consumer reports recommends Continental Terrain Contact AT rated excellent at noise, and good or very good at all other categories. I lowered my psi from 44 to 38 on the Grapplers which helped with vibration and noise, and I hate to lose the tread life and mpg's by doing that but the noise is horrendous. I'll try the Continentals just because of the noise raiting, but I don't know if I can sell used Terra's or not. I'm thinking $75 each. Continentals are $1320 for a set mounted down here.

Last edited:

NASSTY

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I bought my Raptor because I like the looks over anything out there. I'm not planning on offroad and in Louisiana, snow is unheard of. I bought the truck from Ft Worth with Nitto Terra Grapplers and the whole 560 mile ride home I complained about the road noise and vibration through the steering wheel. I still have 9/32 of tread left. I swapped out with Toyo Open Country AT2 that I have on my other truck just to check the ride quality which is my priority since it will be used mostly on the interstate and back country asphalt roads. The ride with the Toyos (on an 18" rim ) was much quieter and didn't have the vibration I was experiencing with Nitto. Consumer reports recommends Continental Terrain Contact AT rated excellent at noise, and good or very good at all other categories. I lowered my psi from 44 to 38 on the Grapplers which helped with vibration and noise, and I hate to lose the tread life and mpg's by doing that but the noise is horrendous. I'll try the Continentals just because of the noise raiting, but I don't know if I can sell used Terra's or not. I'm thinking $75 each. Continentals are $1320 for a set mounted down here.
The Continental Terrain Contact AT get excellent reviews on everything but snow. That shouldn't be an issue for you in your location. It would probably be a deal breaker for me. The looks may also be a deal breaker. They look more like a highway tire than a A/T.

Maintecheib

Reaction score
Great feedback, thanks. How is the tread wear and road noise with 45k on the Coopers? Have they become considerably louder? How many more miles do you think you’ll get out of them?
After 45k the Coopers are still just as quite as when I first put them on. I'm running them at 35 psi, with even wear at 15/64" tread left to wear bar.