Help.... AT or MT tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chefsweets

Reaction score
I'm due for some tires very soon and I'm having a tough time trying to decide between sticking with an MT or switching to a AT.
I drive mostly on street with lots of highway driving but do hit the dirt quite often. Its not hard core baja ripping but like to play. So want a street friendly with great offroad ability tire.
Good sidewall protection, not to loud on pavement, looks good, great on street/highway, great in dirt. Not in the rain much and even less in the snow. I split time between Texas and SoCal.
I think I've narrowed it down to these but open to other suggestions. Should I look at an RT/ hybrid tire to bridge the gap between AT and MT?
Falken Wildpeak At3w - great all around tire that lots of people love but just looks plain highway tire to me
Mickey Thompson Baja Boss At - great sidewall for AT, looks good, dont know many raptor running them, Heavy for AT at 80#
BFG KM3- currently running, was a good tire, looks great, got kinda loud with miles, had to rotate at 3-5k or would cup a bit
Yokohama Geolandar Mt G003- Looks very aggressive, said to be quite, great reviews online but not many raptors running them.
I know another tire thread. But thanks for the help FRF!!
I’ve got 35” Baja Boss AT’s on my 23. Only have 3k miles on my truck (all on road to this point) but they’re extremely quiet and grip much better on wet roads than the Cooper STT Pro’s I had on my Gen 2. Like I said, not much time on them yet but so far I’ve got zero complaints.

jimmyjamm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have run a few different on my raptor and several on jeeps, broncos, etc.
If you are loot for a good al around performer, you could go with the General Grabber x3 MT, it has a pretty mild tread , but does really well in a variety of terrain, quiet on hwy, good mileage, and even does good in the rain.

I also like the Toyo Wild Country MT, it is a great aggressive tire for just about everything, but, it is heavy and seems to retract from mileahe unless u run the pressures higher than comfort. They also tend to get.louder as they wear below 50% or so.

As for the general AT vs MT, I always got MT, as any off-road will be impacted by an AT, and they always seem to have shallow tread that affects off-road and with off-road nicks and chunks they wear out that much faster.

MMN1ELT

Reaction score
I just bought a set of the Falken Wildpeak R/Ts, they handle well on everything I’ve put them on. Did a 3 day trip through the San Rafael Swell in Utah and they did amazing, handled Devils Racetrack no problem.. haven’t used them much in the rain yet. No regrets here besides maybe not grabbing them in 37”s. Lol

Attachments

• 419B49FB-6412-4680-8766-906C09FBDC10.jpeg
    419B49FB-6412-4680-8766-906C09FBDC10.jpeg
    297.7 KB · Views: 64
OP
OP
dillard09

dillard09

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just bought a set of the Falken Wildpeak R/Ts, they handle well on everything I’ve put them on. Did a 3 day trip through the San Rafael Swell in Utah and they did amazing, handled Devils Racetrack no problem.. haven’t used them much in the rain yet. No regrets here besides maybe not grabbing them in 37”s. Lol
those look great! i just could make myself get them due to being a Load Range E. but it was on my short list!

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mud tires don’t make sense unless you’re muddin lol! They’re heavy AF, loud AF, bad MPG, not good in heavy downpour/standing rain, not great in most snow (esp heavier slushier northeast snow) & horrendous on ice

But yeah, I guess they “look cool” lol

I was going to run Toyo Open country AT3s but for a good price they were too far out on delivery when I needed em so wound up sticking to the stock C rated KO2s, which….for all the complaints on this site, are a pretty damn good “jack of all trades” tire for this truck & they’re light weight

OP
OP
dillard09

dillard09

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mud tires don’t make sense unless you’re muddin lol! They’re heavy AF, loud AF, bad MPG, not good in heavy downpour/standing rain, not great in most snow (esp heavier slushier northeast snow) & horrendous on ice

But yeah, I guess they “look cool” lol

I was going to run Toyo Open country AT3s but for a good price they were too far out on delivery when I needed em so wound up sticking to the stock C rated KO2s, which….for all the complaints on this site, are a pretty damn good “jack of all trades” tire for this truck & they’re light weight
They were on my short list too. I stopped by DT yesterday and checked out my Coopers. They look really good. Even had them sitting next to a set of Wildpeak At3w and thought they looked better.
Should have them installed this afternoon.

REMIX

Full Access Member
Reaction score

How are these things on pavement? Quiet? I need to order a set of tires this week.