Help.... AT or MT tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
dillard09

dillard09

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Personally, I'd go load range E vs a much heavier tire. Weight impacts acceleration, braking, and MPG whereas load range might make it ride rougher but keeping the PSI in the mid-30s should mitigate that somewhat.
I was thinking the same thing.
MT Baja Boss AT is a D and 80# and the Toyo Open Country RT Trail is an E but only 75#. RT Trail is 3# lighter than my current KM3s that are a D and they are only 2# heavier than the AT3W that is a D. The only thing is the RT Trail has a tread depth of 17/32 compared to most 19/32.
I know I'm prob over thinking this but I'm buying 6 tires and it will be over 3k. Plus my KM3 have been on the road for 60k and over 3 years since I rotate 6. I will have them for awhile so don't want to get something I don't like and have to turn around and buy more sooner than I want too.

Blown00gt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran RTs and liked them as well. Can confirm they are a bit slick in the rain but I still liked them way more than my ridge grapplers.

OP
OP
dillard09

dillard09

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ran RTs and liked them as well. Can confirm they are a bit slick in the rain but I still liked them way more than my ridge grapplers.
The concensus around here including myself is that Ridge Grapplers are ******. I didnt like them either.
Right now I'm leaning towards the RT Trails. I like the look, not to heavy at 75# and most seem to really like them.
Going to DT tomorrow morning to see what I can do.

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Do not get an E rated tire. It will be super heavy, zap some of the performance you put money into, and a heavy tire, added unsprung weight will make your suspension react slower and more harsh. If you want speed and comfort get the lightest tire you can find.

OP
OP
dillard09

dillard09

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So......
Falken Wildpeak AT3W or Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT?
The tread design on the Coopers remind me of the BFG KR tread.

Last edited:

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So......
Falken Wildpeak AT3W or Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT?
The tread design on the Coopers remind me of the BFG KR tread.
If it was me , if you encounter more wet mud snow rain id go Falken. If you are more dry desert, amd
Dont mind giving up a bit of traction in mud go Cooper.

OP
OP
dillard09

dillard09

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it was me , if you encounter more wet mud snow rain id go Falken. If you are more dry desert, amd
Dont mind giving up a bit of traction in mud go Cooper.
Thats what I was thinking too. I stay mostly in the southwest from Texas to SoCal. I do see some wet but mostly dry.
Right now DT has the Coopers at $385 and the Falkens are $463.
Also Coopers are made in USA and I like that!

BBR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well its going to be the Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLTs. Will be installed on Wednesday and 6 tires mount and balanced out the door for $2650. Looked at the Falkens as well but like $700 more for 6.
Thanks for everyone's help!! Much appreciated!!!

Curious to hear your thoughts.
Those were on my short list but I knew they'd be useless in the mud around here.