2014 Terrain Gen2 Upgrade w/SVC **New-ish Member**With Pics!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BoatzNHoes

Reaction score
Hey there!
Long time reader, new-ish member...

Wanted to introduce myself and show the build of my 14' Terrain Gen1 that I picked up early 23'.
Been going to the desert since I was a kid. Plaster City, Ocotillo, Borrego Springs, Super, Glamis, & Gordons is where I spent most of my time. Mexico also but those were more of a special occasion. Ride a 501 Husqy during the day and hop in the Raptor when the body gets tired from riding all morning. Don't think I'll ever get sick of the dez. My two kids caught on and with me every trip, love it!

Wanted to build a Raptor that was capable but not necessarily bordering the fine line of requiring a cage. I've done the whole pre-runner / long travel dance, and let's be honest it's a lot of work and a whole heap of expenses involved. Quite a bit of maintenance and a continuous chase for the sake of progression. Could I keep the build conservative enough and be stoked?!? For sure and I think I nailed it; probably not even coming close to reaching the limits of this truck but I sure do try...yet, still finding myself resisting the urge to go deeper (more on this).

Build:
Removed the OEM coil bucket and threw in the one from Camburg to accept the Gen2 front coilovers.
Went with the aftermarket FOX Gen2 Internal Bypass front coilovers (883-06-140) and the matching rear 3.0 External Bypass (883-09-141) with the QABs. This does require another driver side shock mount to provide enough clearance to the rear shocks. Trying to bolt these in, at least for my setup, the tubes will make contact with the rear Deavers +3s upon bump.
Despite my experience in the open desert, I honestly couldn't see myself going wider. My Beyoncé is wide and she got some hips...some of the trails on the Mojave wouldn't accept anything wider than a factory width Raptor. Thinking back on certain sections like the Squeeze near Fish Creek, not a chance. Any mid-travel / long travel kit that increase track width to me I believe limits a lot of what you're able to do/see/explore.

Brap4.jpg

SVC.jpg

Deavers are amazing. The enhancement in ride quality both on-road and off-road is solid! Only gripe is the pitting/rust that reveals itself on the springs fairly quickly...I'm not special by any means and understand this is a characteristic that can be found on almost all leaf springs. I see it all the time.
Went SVC as far as the bolt on goodies. Rear adjustable bump stop kit, their bed support, and Baja Smurf front bumper with the matching rear V3 bumper. Quality stuff and looks good. Looking to get their V3 rear bypass rack for the ability to carry a spare...and also, ummmm...ya a couple FOX 3.5" x 18" EXBP. BUT WHAT ABOUT KEEPING IT MILD!!!! I know and I'm disappointed in myself also...
Lights sit right on top of the front SVC bumper. 4 Baja Design's LP6s and I'll never be able to out run these lights. I only run BD. Also have a rear amber chase light which is absolutely critical when in the dust. Safety first my friends! You're buddies should not be ramming into your behind because they couldn't see you...save that for tent time.
Toyo RT Trails 37s on Methods. Toyo's are all I run with many years of success. They are a heavier & taller tire compared to other tire mfgs.
Re-geared to 4.56s.

Brap.jpg

The first shakedown run on the new setup was the Mojave Trail this past October. Started on the Primm side and made our way out west. Pretty cool route and lot's to see and do a long the way. Worth doing if you get the opportunity.
The Mojave Trail has every type of terrain. Reminds me a lot of Johnson Valley (home of Hammers). I was able to go through rocky chunk at slower speeds, sandy washes with lot's of choppy oscillations due to the inexperienced insisting on keeping it in 2WD, and was able to open her up to 80mph+ on the lake bed. This truck handled however below is my verdict and what I believe to be the perfect weekend warrior as far as the Gen1 is concerned.

Mojave.jpg

What I see as the perfect setup:
Definitely upgrade the OEM 2.5 front coilovers to a 3.0 - pick the color of your choosing. Run an LCA stock width that will allow you to run a secondary EXBP, and as well front bumps with limit straps.
Rear if you're able to get past cutting holes into your bed, run larger diameter EXBPs with Deavers and the supplemental bumps.

Brap2.jpg

TomDirt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Did Camburg just recently start making their buckets for the Gen 1? I ended up buying the KHC version last summer instead. If Camburg had them available they were only a 90min drive from the Hi Dez.

Attachments

• Brap4.jpg
    Brap4.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 10
OP
OP
BoatzNHoes

BoatzNHoes

Reaction score
Did Camburg just recently start making their buckets for the Gen 1? I ended up buying the KHC version last summer instead. If Camburg had them available they were only a 90min drive from the Hi Dez.

Their coil buckets cover a large year span from 09' to 21' so I don't think it's too new of an offering.
Also saw the KHC ones but just didn't quite dig the branding on the front. Reminded me of GAP sweatshirts where the lettering was on the front in size 72 font.