INTERCOOLER THOUGHTS? Are they worth it?? Noticeable improvement?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pbtjrlmrt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I honestly believe that if someone convinces themselves that something will improve HP, the more they spend the bigger the difference they claim it makes...LOL Having said that I am aware of dyno testing proving that an intercooler alone can make a small hp difference and will certainly impact the repeatability of said HP but even in the most extreme example where you do a full stage 1 tune/CAI/IC upgrade. Gaining a second over a 1/4 mile aint much from a day to day/wheeling perspective. Go ahead, count out loud 1 second, that's what you get and that includes a tune....with just an IC upgrade I doubt you'd be able to measure the difference on the track unless you run back to back to back runs and even then <1 sec difference and you're paying 1k-1500 for that? Doesn't seem like a worthwhile tradeoff. Remember...I say all this and I've also spent/blew the money on an IC/Tune/CAI caue i'm a sucker for it as well...LOL I just don't kid myself about what I've accomplished....which is not all that much in the big scheme of the overall performance envelope.

Kashoggio

Lives in a van down by the river.
Reaction score
1 second is pretty big improvement in a 1/4 time , not sure how you can say that isn’t the case.

CigarPundit

On the road to serfdom...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No doubt about it. One second is huge in the quarter. And there's no doubt that a tune gives an ample seat of the pants improvement in daily driving...unless you're not driving it right. And I'm not sure I understand the track performance comment. I mean, nobody is running these trucks on road courses, lol. I'll leave road courses to the M3.

For me, the truck is more fun to drive with a tune. Definitely improves my daily driving experience to have more power available.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No doubt about it. One second is huge in the quarter. And there's no doubt that a tune gives an ample seat of the pants improvement in daily driving...unless you're not driving it right. And I'm not sure I understand the track performance comment. I mean, nobody is running these trucks on road courses, lol. I'll leave road courses to the M3.

For me, the truck is more fun to drive with a tune. Definitely improves my daily driving experience to have more power available.

I don't think anyone was really arguing the tuning benefit at the track other than just pointing to those results as tangible proven evidence of what a tune can do to improve the overall performance - whether its @ a dragstrip, on the trails, in the Baja, or just sitting in traffic. Listen - bigger displacement V8's are prone to heatsoak too that can sap some power, but simple stuff like a 160 degree T-stat or tune that turns your rad fans on earlier etc. will help alleviate that a good bit, & the drop in power in that scenario is not nearly as noticeable as what I've felt after sitting in cape cod traffic for 1.5 hrs in a 90+ degree summer day & then feeling like the truck just lost a cylinder or 2 as soon as it opens up & I'm on backroads.

To me the upgraded IC is as much a long term wear preventative measure as it is a performance benefit. I honestly have no clue how this thread even emerged, I was essentially a novice in terms of turbo vehicles & still have alot of learning to do w/ the Raptor - BUT even w/ my gearhead background being mostly involved in GM V8 stuff I knew full well that pretty much any turbo vehicle benefits immensely from a tune & intercooler upgrade. Just like pretty much any GM smallblock benefits from a legit CAI & long tube headers + tune.

W/ a quality aftermarket unit mounted in the correct factory location w/ the right connections & no leaks - I see NO REASON not to do it other than cost, I see NO REASON a dealer could/would ever void your warranty for it. Like I said - no different than using Timken wheel bearings in place of FOMOCO or a COBB drop in filter instead of motorcraft etc etc etc etc etc

Get a gigantic one chopping up your grill shutters removing it entirely from factory location re-routing piping & squeezing it in front of the stock engine rad & fans, while being completely visible through the grill from the front end? Yeah - well, if something goes wrong & warranty is voided just look in the mirror.

Gsteve

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This isn't a drag truck. Power difference will be negligible. Tunes don't make any significant difference either. Anyone that argues otherwise lets meet up and i'll race your truck with my stock truck in a 1/4 and you'll see that we will finish with in a truck length of each other. Not dissing on custom tunes, they do make the driving experience better, but at WOT the engine on stock turbos an fuel system isn't going to do any better.

Only reason I see to upgrade is to move the intercooler for bumper clearance, or to avoid it getting clogged with mud.
wow are you wrong.... clueless even

Brad_hartpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bottom line is the truck will not make more power with an aftermarket IC over a stock COLD IC. The key word is COLD. Aftermarket intercoolers keep intake temps cooler thus in “the sweet spot” for better performance. Some may allow better airflow and efficiency and increase performance a bit in that regard.

Halo Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what Im reading, the aftermarket IC is not for added power, and will not increase HP in the truck. What its for is when the truck heats up, I believe the ECM retards the timing to keep the engine cool, therefore losing HP, I think its referred to as Heat Soak. What Im to understand is the stock IC is substandard for hard driving, but fine for daily driving. For us that drive in the deserts of So Cal where its never below 80 its probably a must. I have felt this so called heatsoak while running the desert all day (4-6 hours straight). The truck got hot, especially in the soft stuff where I was in the throttle hard for extended periods. The second benefit would be longevity. Anytime you can keep a motor cooler its a win. I will be installing one on my truck coming in a month or so. I dont have a tune, will be completely stock.

Kashoggio

Lives in a van down by the river.
Reaction score
A intercooler has nothing with keeping the engine cooler, it’s only purpose is to cool the air that’s compressed and forced in to your engine by the turbo.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Bottom line is the truck will not make more power with an aftermarket IC over a stock COLD IC. The key word is COLD. Aftermarket intercoolers keep intake temps cooler thus in “the sweet spot” for better performance. Some may allow better airflow and efficiency and increase performance a bit in that regard.
You do realize the truck will start to heat soak within the very first dyno run?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mad man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as I’m concerned if you tune get a whipple or something like it IC . Have a modified friendly ford dealer install it, or all bets are off on your warranty, concerning anything that’s relates to it . It’s a lot of money for the 10 degree difference in maximum heat soak !! I did it LOL