Upgrading the TWINS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
G

Graybeard

Reaction score
Been driving the hell out of it. This is my daily driver. I've put about 9k on the clock since these mods. No actual Dyno pulls though. Sorry guys. She is a beast and I am absolutely in love with it.

Not a ton of updates to provide. She has been reliable and scoots whenever I push the right pedal. Been primarily running the 93 oct tune although E85 is looking pretty darn good right now given pump prices.

I will tell you that the added power has not been advantageous in winter. In stock trim, I used to hammer down pretty much everywhere. She now needs to be in AWD or the tires aren't happy. Heavy throttle still makes me squeeze the steering wheel tight.

The only negative that I could possibly give is that the idle is still pretty low on a cold morning. Despite all the learning and driving I've done, it sounds like a cammed engine at idle - a bit rough. As long as she idles above 600rpm, its not too bad but she sometimes likes to hover around 500. There are no cam changes on this engine. Just the turbo swap. The exhaust note is a little deeper than a stock Raptor. Not terribly noticeable.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Been driving the hell out of it. This is my daily driver. I've put about 9k on the clock since these mods. No actual Dyno pulls though. Sorry guys. She is a beast and I am absolutely in love with it.

Not a ton of updates to provide. She has been reliable and scoots whenever I push the right pedal. Been primarily running the 93 oct tune although E85 is looking pretty darn good right now given pump prices.

I will tell you that the added power has not been advantageous in winter. In stock trim, I used to hammer down pretty much everywhere. She now needs to be in AWD or the tires aren't happy. Heavy throttle still makes me squeeze the steering wheel tight.

The only negative that I could possibly give is that the idle is still pretty low on a cold morning. Despite all the learning and driving I've done, it sounds like a cammed engine at idle - a bit rough. As long as she idles above 600rpm, its not too bad but she sometimes likes to hover around 500. There are no cam changes on this engine. Just the turbo swap. The exhaust note is a little deeper than a stock Raptor. Not terribly noticeable.
Nice update! Shouldn’t your tuner be able to adjust the idle tables?

OP
OP
G

Graybeard

Reaction score
And just to provide power estimates for you thinking of making similar mods... (Since I never verified on a Dyno)

Winfield tells me that the 93oct tune should be putting just over 500hp down to the tires. That should be about 600 at the crank.

He also mentioned a similarly equipped truck was laying down around 615hp at the tire on E85, but I had lower intake temperatures... That sounds like she may be close to the claimed 750hp limit of these turbos. Damn its fast on this fuel. Crazy fast.

OP
OP
G

Graybeard

Reaction score
Winfield did adjust the idle tables a bit for me. Trouble is that he in the southwest and I'm up in Michigan. We spent about two weeks at -20F in the middle of winter and that kind of cold does not calibrate well from a distance. It's better. But it's not perfect.

GooseTuned

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Super cool!!! Glad you're happy with it! Those turbos are amazing

We can work some more on idle if you'd like. Should be able to get it pretty close to stock idle