INTERCOOLER THOUGHTS? Are they worth it?? Noticeable improvement?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

8WOOD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are completely and absolutely wrong. There is a HUGE difference between a stock truck and a tuned truck.

Stock the truck runs around 17 pounds of boost. Tuned it is more like 23.

https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/1-4-mile-times-pre-and-post-tune.61055/

A tuned truck will have nearly a second and 5 mph over a stock truck in the quarter.

Ive personally run a 13.99 in mine on a JDM tune on 35" 10 ply tires and Im pretty confident I can get that down to mid 13s. I only had 5 runs and tried a different mode each time.

A stock truck is not gonna runs 13s.

My stock truck ran a 13.8... at 3000 feet. Maybe I have a magic truck.

O wait, first review of the stock 2017 by mototrend...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mo...-f-150-raptor-first-test-velocity-raptor/amp/

Did you ever try your truck stock on the 1/4 mile?

Just hang with me here. All I'm saying is that people buy these tunes and it makes a minimal performance change for what these trucks were designed to do--thrash desert roads at 100+ miles an hour! If you want to pick up 1 second (though I doubt it with a tune only) in the quarter mile on road, then maybe look into a power strike and tune or buy a 2wd f150 5.0 and put a whipple on that bad boy.. then you'll have a proper fast 1/4 mile platform to start from. From my stand point a 14.5 second truck is slow and so is a 13.5 second truck.

Last edited:

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mo...-f-150-raptor-first-test-velocity-raptor/amp/

Just hang with me here. All I'm saying is that people buy these tunes and it makes a minimal performance change for what these trucks were designed to do--thrash desert roads at 100+ miles an hour! If you want to pick up 1 second (though I doubt it with a tune only) in the quarter mile on road, then maybe look into a power strike and tune or buy a 2wd f150 5.0 and put a whipple on that bad boy.. then you'll have a proper fast 1/4 mile platform to start from. From my stand point a 14.5 second truck is slow and so is a 13.5 second truck.

If you think a vehicle running 17 pounds of boost and a vehicle running 23 pounds of boost make the same amount of power, than there's nothing I can say at this point.

8WOOD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol this guy thinks more boost always mean more power.

Come race my stock truck with your 23 pounds of useless hot air.

CigarPundit

On the road to serfdom...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t have any plans to drag race my Raptor. I tuned it because it just makes it more fun. The extra power just puts a smile on my face, which it why I bought the Raptor in the first place. Anyone who thinks a tune is not noticeable is either not paying attention or is doing it wrong.

TurboTJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good god there is a lot of misinformation here! I’ll try to correct some of it

More boost = more power in general. Yes more boost may cause issues and diminishing returns but remember, more boost typically means more airflow which means more power, everything else being equal. There are second order effects (turbine back pressure, compressor adiabatic efficiency, engine knock, etc) but it’s a good rule of thumb.

Intercoolers add power primarily with two mechanisms 1) colder air is more dense. When air is more dense, you can shove more into the combustion chamber and when backed with the correct amount of fuel, you get more power. 2) knock/pre-detonation reduction via cooler manifold temps. Turbo engines are typically limited by engine knock. This is often the limiting factor for how much more boost a specific engine can run. Reducing the chances of knock allows for more timing and more boost which results in more power.

A ~14 second quarter mile might have a trap speed of maybe 100MPH. 100MPH = 147 feet/second so I’d expect a car with a 1 second lead to be about 147 feet ahead.

And let’s keep in mind, relocating the intercooler gives you a great place to mount a winch!

Last edited:

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score

They make minimum diff b/c initially a lot of em weren’t even touching the TCM tuning bahahahahhahahahahhaahha

Different story these days. No doubt an ecm/TCM tuned raptor crushes a stock one in every performance category in every driving situation

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you think a vehicle running 17 pounds of boost and a vehicle running 23 pounds of boost make the same amount of power, than there's nothing I can say at this point.

When/where on the dyno graph do the 23 lbs hit vs 17? Is your trans tuned? If 7k rpm & no are your answers ****