INTERCOOLER THOUGHTS? Are they worth it?? Noticeable improvement?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ciqir

Reaction score
How likely is an intercooler to be specifically the cause for a warranty issue? That's what would have to happen for a dealer to be able to deny a claim.

RC Blk Bird

Reaction score
How likely is an intercooler to be specifically the cause for a warranty issue? That's what would have to happen for a dealer to be able to deny a claim.
I'm with you on that. The whole warranty rant seems overblown. I've owned several new ford trucks over the last 25 years including 2 Raptors. The only warranty issues I encountered were a rip in the drivers seat on the Gen1, 2 Moonroof failures - 1 on a F350 SD and 1 on the Gen 1, and front brake rotors on a 2009 F150 (evidently a bad batch, wore out at 15k) So lesson learned, Gen2 - no moonroof. All vehicles were driven well past warranty periods.

roostinyfz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the last Baja raptor run with EXO and SVC they said the worst mod to do it a BOV. Starts to make noise. A truck had an aftermarket BOV issue on the run.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
On the last Baja raptor run with EXO and SVC they said the worst mod to do it a BOV. Starts to make noise. A truck had an aftermarket BOV issue on the run.
Yep, this is what I've seen. Our trucks don't make enough boost to warrant aftermarket - If you want to make issues with the BOV, get an aftermarket unit.

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yep, this is what I've seen. Our trucks don't make enough boost to warrant aftermarket - If you want to make issues with the BOV, get an aftermarket unit.

BOV's on turbo cars are FAR from new technology.

Stock boost is around 17 psi on a plastic/electronic unit.

Aftermarket tunes run around 23 psi, a 35% increase.

aftermarket is vacuum actuated with spring assist and can leak less under peak boost.

I run one and have zero problems.

pbtjrlmrt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It all depends on how you measure "worth it" Others have outlined the benefits..repeatable power, etc, etc but in reality it's not needed and you won't feel the benefit on your daily drive unless possibly your in the throttle all the time but your butt dyno will adjust and the HP difference is only really measurable on a dyno. I installed one cause it makes me feel better knowing is a higher quality unit that will provide moderate performance benefit....and I know I can't really justify the money but hey...I can say that about the entire truck...LOL

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It all depends on how you measure "worth it" Others have outlined the benefits..repeatable power, etc, etc but in reality it's not needed and you won't feel the benefit on your daily drive unless possibly your in the throttle all the time but your butt dyno will adjust and the HP difference is only really measurable on a dyno. I installed one cause it makes me feel better knowing is a higher quality unit that will provide moderate performance benefit....and I know I can't really justify the money but hey...I can say that about the entire truck...LOL

The HP difference is quite noticeable if we’re talking a stock intercooler performing poorly in hot weather/off-road use or repeated WOT runs vs. an aftermarket unit that keeps the IATs cool enough in identical conditions to prevent the ecm from pulling timing & reducing power.

If I lived in South of the mason dixon it’d already be on my truck, that being said- I’ve already noticed a big drop in power a handful of times over the summer especially after sitting in traffic for a bit & then trying to get on it once things opened up. I sure as hell notice the difference & im guessing the drop in HP could be upwards of 50+

pbtjrlmrt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The HP difference is quite noticeable if we’re talking a stock intercooler performing poorly in hot weather/off-road use or repeated WOT runs vs. an aftermarket unit that keeps the IATs cool enough in identical conditions to prevent the ecm from pulling timing & reducing power.

If I lived in South of the mason dixon it’d already be on my truck, that being said- I’ve already noticed a big drop in power a handful of times over the summer especially after sitting in traffic for a bit & then trying to get on it once things opened up. I sure as hell notice the difference & im guessing the drop in HP could be upwards of 50+

The power dropoff is most likely due to heat in general. Warmer air is obviously less desirable and in warm weather...or even just idling your intake air temp will rise. Check your gauges while idling...look especially at the charge temp. I know an intercooler can help but it's not the end all be all that it's advertised to be. Like I said...I installed one and gald I did but it's not that big of an improvement compared to other mods.

Dmoore8886

Reaction score