Hot Tranny!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigScott

Banned
Reaction score
oh sorry did not think you were talking about transmissions when i opened this thread.. my bad.

So, What was your thinkin ?

:********::********:

sorry i just think that lil bear is so cute

---------- Post added at 03:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:14 PM ----------

Knowing this crowd.... Deep dark places, my friend.

Let's just hope Juggnuttz doesn't get a hold of this one.

Juggnuts. I think ya gotta watch out for truck wolf !

---------- Post added at 03:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:17 PM ----------

Your showing your age, I bet some of these youngsters have no clue what the first one is. We used to go to the theater with rain coats n water bottles

Oh shat, I'm showing my age

---------- Post added at 03:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:25 PM ----------

Slightly worried about this myself, though mine is running normally at 160 to 170 F. How does the thermostat work on these newer transmissions, is it built in? Would it be best to add a second cooler, or a larger first cooler? I have seen some that have fans on them, might be nice if I could find room.

Did ya read what BOSS HOSS wrote. He knows his stuff, I would believe him.

Last edited:

Boss Hoss

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There is a stat that does not open till 180 or 185. I watched the guys at Southwest Ford put on the new pan. and do the flush with the BG machine. Fluid did not come out of the cool side till the temps came up--we had to wait a minute or so before. IT DOES NOT FREE FLOW. A cooler may help with going from 230 to 210 but not to below the stat setting.

When I ran my aux tranny coolers on my oil burners I got them away from the engine where it is a dumb place to put a cooler with a fan lol because it blocks other air flow. Mounted Flex-a-lite 4190 - Flex-a-lite Remote Transmission Coolers With Fan - Overview - SummitRacing.com with a fabricated bracket with neoprene shocks under the tabs to the bottom of the bed between the rails adding more line plus the cooler and big pan gave me more capacity as well. Had a switch to turn it on and off mounted in the dash---even with the motor off the air was still moving through the cooler and when the power switch was on it would only turn on the fan at 200 if memory serves because it was going to the trucks tranny cooler in the front of the truck. Worked like a charm and kept the temps down because with the propane and big turbo it would get hot.

OP
OP

62nalide

Reaction score
damn it lol i guess the 200* temps are ok then? im going to be using this truck to hual my drag truck around and seem 200* is hot to me

SVT_4X4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very nice looking unit Jason. I have to take a look, but it might interfere with my ProCharger intercooler. Someone had an idea of putting one with a fan down underneath by the bed, that might be the ticket for my particular application.

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
i drove 20+ miles with the rear locker in forgot did 100mph for a bit gotta keep things flowing 195 degrees so do you have it in tow haul or off road mode or something

Rusty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trans cooler

We have developed a transmission cooler to suit the needs of even the most abusive raptor owner. It is a CBR oil cooler that is outfitted with 2 electric fans. It fits directly behind the front bumper so it is very neatly tucked up and out of the way. Our complete with everything you will need to install it. Wiring harness along with all the oil lines and fittings.

DSC_0186.JPG

I talked to Serina, in sales at SDHQ, she said the same thing Jason said.
I didn't think to ask about adjusting the thermalstat on/off
but I suppose you could do that with the PCM.

It would seem to me that your objective is to keep temps down to
operating temps on the highway or offroad. The true test is to see if in fact
this happens under load. Even a drop of 10 to 15* would be helpful. I would guess that if one could keep it below 200* than you are in the game.

The other question raised was blockage of incoming air flow through the
rest of the system. If this is so than some adjustment must be made
to compensate for this. I realize there is a operation temp that must be
met in order for the engine to operate at programed temps, and if the
trans cooler is interfearing with this than that presents a problem.

I wonder if Jason would care to address this issue. I would hope that this
was addressed during R&D, some are suggesting otherwise.

Serina, mentioned she noticed an increase in trans temp just leaving the parking lot. Is the Normal operating temp for the trans 190 to 220?
Is this what Ford had in mind in its design? Perhaps we should look at what
Nascar does to overcome heat. In my AMX I am using a rear end cooling system, during read racing applications. I have an on/off switch for racing and normal driving conditions. The cooler is mounted in the rear of the car.
there is no issue of blockage of air flow in the front of the car.

A few questions that need to be addressed.
I hope I am not just talking out of my a$$ on this, but this is something I have been toying with for a while now and am looking for answers.
Please advise.

Rusty

blood

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My normal temps,driving around run 197-205 at least on the truck display,now I pulled my 8000lb 30 foot tt 200 miles and it stayed exactly the same stop and go everything.
Also pulled really nice 8mpg.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have to add to this thread as well,
I had to use full throttle to get on the expressway and the truck was not up to operating temp yet
and the truck did not pull like it should and the transmission shifting was a little out of whack.
And this is not just our trucks! Mustangs do this as well!
The Tune needs all temps to be at operating conditions in order to release full power.
This comes from the SVT service tech at my dealer.

I really do not believe that a simple fix to play with the PCM is NOT going work for anybody. JMO!

I do use the remote start about 5-10 mins before getting in so that I do not have to worry about
temps being too low on all fluids even on warm days.

So for going colder no but for keeping under 230 yes great idea.

Last edited: