Help w/selecting correct radio equipment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Rob in CA

Rob in CA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No problem bro. Keith is a good dude I've bought a few things from him. Plus if you have any questions or need help with any problems while you're installing it he has no problem helping you over the phone. You don't get that kind of service when you just order something online.

Ok cool. I was looking at his website last night. That TYT is more expensive on his site then on Amazon, but from the pictures he may be including some additional hardware which accounts for the added cost.

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
He programs them, Amazon you just get the radio then you have to buy the programming stuff. I'm in need of a few farm radios how much more?

cbcgeneral

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ok cool. I was looking at his website last night. That TYT is more expensive on his site then on Amazon, but from the pictures he may be including some additional hardware which accounts for the added cost.

Ya he may be including additional items but I'm not sure. It won't hurt to ask him. The other nice thing is he programs the radios with all the channels we need and use for any Raptor event.

OP
OP
Rob in CA

Rob in CA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He programs them, Amazon you just get the radio then you have to buy the programming stuff. I'm in need of a few farm radios how much more?

Yeah, I noticed that. The pre-programming would be nice. Here's the link to what I was looking at:

lvj-motorsports

Amazon has the radio by itself at about $220 right now, but that's the radio on its own. No extras.

Ya he may be including additional items but I'm not sure. It won't hurt to ask him. The other nice thing is he programs the radios with all the channels we need and use for any Raptor event.

I'll definitely be looking into it.

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I highly recommend you get the tyt or wait until you try using listening to the other ones. Why I like the tyt you don't have to lip the mic, you can hold it two three feet away and your still crystal clear. The others you have to put your lips on the mic and talk loud.

In a perfict system IMO if the icom had the tyt mic it would be the shit but I know nothing about radios or how they work I'm just going off exsperiance with both.

I have an icom type radio in the combine I'd like to get out but it would be wrong of me to sell it only becose I'd need about new price.

OP
OP
Rob in CA

Rob in CA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I highly recommend you get the tyt or wait until you try using listening to the other ones. Why I like the tyt you don't have to lip the mic, you can hold it two three feet away and your still crystal clear. The others you have to put your lips on the mic and talk loud.

In a perfict system IMO if the icom had the tyt mic it would be the shit but I know nothing about radios or how they work I'm just going off exsperiance with both.

I have an icom type radio in the combine I'd like to get out but it would be wrong of me to sell it only becose I'd need about new price.

I'm pretty much sold on that TYT model. Now I'm thinking about how permanent I want the install to be. The radio will probably stay in the truck since it'll be wired to the battery, but I'm not sure if I should go mag mount on the antenna, or commit to something more permanent. I'm kind of leaning towards mag, or lip mount since I keep my truck in the garage.

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm thinking about the one like you posted for my truck and making it permanent. I went with the mag only becose I have a hard time drilling a hole in the roof. But roof mount is the way to go you can unscrew the antenna. With the mag I just stick it to the inside of the box. @Yukon Joe has a smaller antenna wondering how well it works.

Rookie

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I ran the tyt 9000 before and had no issues. Started with a mag mount. Didn't like it at all. Got knocked off three or four times at Snoball and it's not exactly light. Scratched the shit out of my roof and one time was swinging along the side of the truck because I ran it through the door jam. Moved to a permanent NMO mount and just put a cap on it when not it use.

This time i went with the tyt9800 and the same permanent antenna mount. Antenna is a quarter wave that comes in at 21" and a little shorter after you tune it. No reception issues with it.

Click here to donate $5 for a chance to win $500 worth of Rogue Racing goodies!

freedommotorsports.us

Email: [email protected]

FreedomLogo.jpg

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, I noticed that. The pre-programming would be nice. Here's the link to what I was looking at:

lvj-motorsports

Amazon has the radio by itself at about $220 right now, but that's the radio on its own. No extras.

The LVJ kit includes the following extras:

* Programming for all common frequencies used for runs, and custom extra channels on request

* Extended wiring harness pre-cut to the correct length to reach the battery

You can also add options like headliner mount plate with or without built in switches, mic mount plate (socket and mount clip) that fits in the passenger side cubby.

I'm seeing Keith this evening I will remind him to check his email/pm's again.

Last edited: