GEN 1 Gen 1 Restoration Project / Cost Estimate help needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
E

EPDub

Reaction score
Once you know the frame is straight and motor/trans/drivetrain is good, take it to SVC OffRoad and dump the rest of the money into suspensions/bumpers/lights and never look back. You'll have an amazing prerunner for a long time to come!
Funny you say. Been on the phone with these folks, now in Utah I believe, and they have been awesome. Good recommendation from my experience. Enthusiasts and knowledgeable!!

OP
OP
E

EPDub

Reaction score
So that’s prolly what’s gonna happen. Emotions override intellect once again
I’d do it. Gen 1 is a classic but not my $$. Good luck and let us know what you decide
Have to agree.

Love my Gen 1, but if it got wrecked and I could move to the aluminum body I would only for the rust factor.

Living in IL sucks, my cab corners are rusted through already, probably because it came to me from SD and MO as well, but still, it hurts. Put 5k into new rockers/corners and hope for the best or move on…choices.
I like the 5k four corner idea. If I redo the truck,and I wouldn’t be concerned about cosmetics (off road petina works for me), how would I spend that 5k?

OP
OP
E

EPDub

Reaction score
I would fix it and make it into what you want. 115k miles isn't very much mileage.
Should be pretty easy for me in this regard. I’m very satisfied with the stock truck, so long as I don’t over drive it, it’s perfect. Nearly. Better suspension would be welcome. But I really have hand it to SVT as they nailed it for a daily driver.

Gary E

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I say, move on. Most projects, especially wrecks, go way beyond estimates and budgets. Unforseen or hidden additional damage. Also, "I've gone this far, i might as well do this and that while it's apart". Where do you stop; where do you say enough is enough. $100 here, $100 there, it can get endless. And, you will be without it for how long?

TomDirt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There's also the question: would you have chosen a SCAB over a SCREW if you could? It seems like from inside, a crewcab seems like a great choice, but the shorter wheel base improves handling and maneuvering offroad.

rschap1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am biased, being a Gen 1 owner myself, but...
First things first.
Frame?
Around here there are a couple shops constantly advertising repaired Raptors that have the frames swapped after an accident.
There doesn't seem to be any such thing as a straightened frame anymore, for any vehicle.
Insurance companies won't take the future liability.
I know, I grew up with MANY frame shops, racks, and straightened repaired vehicles.
But I don't think shops would be going through swapping an entire truck onto a new Ford frame if they could bend and straighten.
That could make your mind up for you.
Sure, "friend" might be able to do it, may be fine for years, but...
is insurance going to be OK with it?
What if another fender bender happens later on?
What if driver or passenger injured?
What if insurance company can blame it on previous repair they didn't approve.

AND, like I said, I am a Gen1 owner, like mine a LOT.
Just had not heard mention of such aspect.
Don't mean to be a bummer.
Just get all the info before making your decision.
Good luck either way.
Personally, pics didn't look to show a ton of damage.
But, an adjuster and a frame shop that knows what to measure should be able to tell you if a fix is even feasible.

Justbob

Reaction score
I would take a long weekend and disassemble the front end. Most shops end up having the insurance adjuster come back out after they have pulled the damaged parts off to redo the estimate for the things they couldn’t see initially. This would also allow you to really assess what could be reused or not. As people have said, it can add up quick when much of the small stuff can’t be reused.

115k miles is not a lot and if you know the vehicle history, better to dance with the devil you know. If you’re going to have the shop do it, I would get them to also pin down the time frame. Many shops around me are taking MONTHS to get vehicles back in peoples hands. As others have said, it’s a question of what your time is worth but for me, I would rebuild it and put another 115k on it.

TomDirt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you're in Santa Clarita there's a bunch of turn key ready to go (under $35K low mileage) Gen 1 Raptors within a couple hours drive for you to consider, instead of a long-term rebuild project. This is from truecar.com, I'm sure there's plenty more on other websites.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230911-111023_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230911-111023_Chrome.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot_20230911-111004_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230911-111004_Chrome.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot_20230911-110931_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230911-110931_Chrome.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20230911-110912_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230911-110912_Chrome.jpg