Gen-1 Howzit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCABpicker

Reaction score
Hi all you helpful folks.
Been lurking here a while looking for maintenance tips and general interest. Lot of very cool vehicles on this forum.
Here's my 2012 Scab, she has around 114,000 on the odo, I'm the original owner. Paid the unimaginable cost of $46.5 out the door. Couple photos from this winter attached.
Lately I look around this forum for ongoing maintenance and what to do or avoid. I plan to drive this truck forever. Its just near unstoppable in the Cascade concrete, and while the family has out grown it a bit, I think adding a camper top to increase cargo capacity will get us by.
One of my favorite (rare) things to do is shuttle mountain bikes up fire roads.
Worst thing about the truck is the god-awful Microsoft Sync audio system.
Just installed third set of BFGs - no good reason to change what works.

Anyway look fwd to picking y'alls collective brains for repairs and the like.
Sean

IMG_3464.jpgIMG_2900.jpgIMG_4645.JPEG

mtnghost

Reaction score
Welcome and beautiful truck, I too bought my truck to haul my mountain bike to trails. Been on here reading about the Whipple SC and whatever else interesting I stumble upon. Anyway what specific maintenance questions are you looking to have answered?

W0n70n

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also hated the ford sync system, I'm not sure about the '12 but mine didn't have the entertainment display that runs the climate controls so I ripped all of the sync system out and bypassed all of it in favor of a head unit and my own amps, it's considerably better now. Both of my amps mounted to a board that I attached to the back of the cab behind the rear seat.

W0n70n

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome and beautiful truck, I too bought my truck to haul my mountain bike to trails. Been on here reading about the Whipple SC and whatever else interesting I stumble upon. Anyway what specific maintenance questions are you looking to have answered?
I love my whipple, it's hard to not just let it whine and ruin my already poor gas mileage and tank it down into the single digits.

OP
OP
SCABpicker

SCABpicker

Reaction score
Right now I'm interested in front-end wear items, and if there really aren't feasible alternatives to the full replacement of UCA's and LCA's. Guessing that Ford would rather sell full pressed-in assemblies and de-emphasize shops pressing in new bushings. I'm planning to take it to the local 4WP/"Total Offroad" who did my shock swap a few years ago. Also kind of amazing that although the F-150 is the best selling vehicle in the USA, finding a decent independent truck repair place is a challenge.

OP
OP
SCABpicker

SCABpicker

Reaction score
I also hated the ford sync system, I'm not sure about the '12 but mine didn't have the entertainment display that runs the climate controls so I ripped all of the sync system out and bypassed all of it in favor of a head unit and my own amps, it's considerably better now. Both of my amps mounted to a board that I attached to the back of the cab behind the rear seat.
Would love to know more about your audio setup, I also opted-out of the bigger display but seem to be limited in options due to the odd form factor. Do you have a thread on this forum showing what you built?

I had the whole dash apart to fix the climate control mix door, its fairly easy to tear it all apart and put it back together cleanly.