Help w/selecting correct radio equipment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ajstar89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You got it, don't over think this. This is a very simple mod, its easy to get caught up in the 100's of ways to do it. Pull trigger and mess around. I ended making it all work rugged radios intercom system, check my build to see it more.

PCI? Not familiar with them. You bring up something I've been going back and fourth with though, which is how permanent do I want it to do be. I would only use it during runs, so I'm kind of leaning towards having it be easily removable like you're talking about.

Edit: Found PCI after a quick Google search.

Edit x2: I'm digging there chase packages. Makes it easy. Thanks for the tip!

bstoner59

does it come in shmedium?
Reaction score
[emoji115]what he said. I'm running the same radio from PCI. That's all you need. I get crazy good reception and transmittal out of that little guy. Plus it came preloaded with all of the race channels. They will help you out with anything you need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score
Go with an Icom for similar money programmed you get a mil spec made in Japan radio. It's all I will run. I have them in the raptor. Tow rig. Polarises and my toy hauler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kmandoske

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trey is right about ICOM and PCI, both are exceptional radios but you pay for what you get. In the midwest most raptor owners use their truck 4-5 weekends a year at best. The $180-$300 radio is perfect for that usage. In the MGI Motorsports race trucks and chase trucks we run out west and in the desert we use Kenwoods radios. Police and Fire use Kenwood and Motorola radio. They are hard core quality radios. As for PCI, If you want to run an intercom system in your truck or Razer than PCI is the best option. Weekend warrior talking 1/4 to 3/4 of a mile to their buddy in the other truck, TYT is the best bang for your buck.

OP
OP
Rob in CA

Rob in CA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trey is right about ICOM and PCI, both are exceptional radios but you pay for what you get. In the midwest most raptor owners use their truck 4-5 weekends a year at best. The $180-$300 radio is perfect for that usage. In the MGI Motorsports race trucks and chase trucks we run out west and in the desert we use Kenwoods radios. Police and Fire use Kenwood and Motorola radio. They are hard core quality radios. As for PCI, If you want to run an intercom system in your truck or Razer than PCI is the best option. Weekend warrior talking 1/4 to 3/4 of a mile to their buddy in the other truck, TYT is the best bang for your buck.

Thanks for the insight. I really appreciate it. I'm mulling over my options at the moment. At least now I have a good idea of what direction I want to go.

phydough

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My two cents worth. Chinese radios tend to suck. My experiences with them has been bad. They are marginal for light use, if you really want to talk, get something better.

If you do go with the TYT, get a dual band antenna. The one you have chosen will only use half of the radio. The TYT is both UHF and VHF.

I lean towards more expensive equipment. Quality is better with Icom, Kenwood and Yaesu. They have usable warranties and generally sound better.

Also become a ham radio operator. That way you can use your radio all the time, not just a couple times a year.

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f170/become-ham-radio-operator-11756/

This is an older post aimed at Nevada folks. I added some links that are for everyone.

In my Raptor, I run a Kenwood TM-D710G and alternate between a Comet CA-2x4SR and a Comet SBB-7 (depending on which one is broken at the time....tree strikes). The antenna is mounted in the left front corner of my bed with some old muffler hanger I had laying around (not the best setup, but I can still hit repeaters some 40 miles out from most directions). The TM-D710G can do things that the TYT can't even dream of. I use APRS almost daily. It will send the trucks location that can be seen online by family. I can send and receive messages to other APRS users. I can even send e-mails to my wife while out and about. All this in areas where cell phones will not work.

I admit that such a radio is a luxury. I am trying to show you there are worlds beyond cheap or commercial radios. It all depends on your intended uses and budget.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rob in CA

Rob in CA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My two cents worth. Chinese radios tend to suck. My experiences with them has been bad. They are marginal for light use, if you really want to talk, get something better.

If you do go with the TYT, get a dual band antenna. The one you have chosen will only use half of the radio. The TYT is both UHF and VHF.

I lean towards more expensive equipment. Quality is better with Icom, Kenwood and Yaesu. They have usable warranties and generally sound better.

Also become a ham radio operator. That way you can use your radio all the time, not just a couple times a year.

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f170/become-ham-radio-operator-11756/

This is an older post aimed at Nevada folks. I added some links that are for everyone.

In my Raptor, I run a Kenwood TM-D710G and alternate between a Comet CA-2x4SR and a Comet SBB-7 (depending on which one is broken at the time....tree strikes). The antenna is mounted in the left front corner of my bed with some old muffler hanger I had laying around (not the best setup, but I can still hit repeaters some 40 miles out from most directions). The TM-D710G can do things that the TYT can't even dream of. I use APRS almost daily. It will send the trucks location that can be seen online by family. I can send and receive messages to other APRS users. I can even send e-mails to my wife while out and about. All this in areas where cell phones will not work.

I admit that such a radio is a luxury. I am trying to show you there are worlds beyond cheap or commercial radios. It all depends on your intended uses and budget.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to write such an insightful post. I have been thinking about quality vs cost, which is why I haven't committed to the TYT. I've always liked to spend a little more to get a good product, so I've been looking more closely at the ICOM and Kenwood radios. Luckily my first run isn't until the end of February, so I still have time to look at all my options. Thanks again!

Kahuna

THE MORE YOU PLAY WITH IT, THE BIGGER IT GETS
Reaction score
You can also get the 110w Kenwood (TK790H) on Ebay for under $300 but you will need to program and spend a bunch of time researching etc.

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Be warned if you go with some more HAM oriented units (Icom, Kenwood, Yatsu, etc) you may have to take them apart and get busy with a soldering iron to unlock functionality on some of the frequencies used on runs. If you don't mind that and are happy to void the warranty then go with one of those brands, if no go with a multi part certified radio like the TYT. Radios and links to the mods required are in the one and only radio thread.