Help w/selecting correct radio equipment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kahuna

THE MORE YOU PLAY WITH IT, THE BIGGER IT GETS
Reaction score
Be warned if you go with some more HAM oriented units (Icom, Kenwood, Yatsu, etc) you may have to take them apart and get busy with a soldering iron to unlock functionality on some of the frequencies used on runs. If you don't mind that and are happy to void the warranty then go with one of those brands, if no go with a multi part certified radio like the TYT. Radios and links to the mods required are in the one and only radio thread.

Very true. I got lucky and didn't have to do any internal soldering but did a huge amount of research while buying bits and pieces off eBay, Molex connectors from warehouses etc. etc. I ended up with a 110w radio for about $250.

However, I wouldn't recommend this route unless you buy a pre-programmed package for a bit more or have a huge amount of time on your hands or someone to hand hold you through the process.

bstoner59

does it come in shmedium?
Reaction score
Be warned if you go with some more HAM oriented units (Icom, Kenwood, Yatsu, etc) you may have to take them apart and get busy with a soldering iron to unlock functionality on some of the frequencies used on runs. If you don't mind that and are happy to void the warranty then go with one of those brands, if no go with a multi part certified radio like the TYT. Radios and links to the mods required are in the one and only radio thread.

I got mine from PCI turn key. Didn't have to do anything and it works on all runs I've been on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I got mine from PCI turn key. Didn't have to do anything and it works on all runs I've been on.

The radios PCI sells tend to be comercial radios rather than ham radios which do not require special modification to transmit on the frequencies used for runs, however you do have to program them with software you can't do it from the unit from what I understand.

Each route has pro's and con's.

FastEddie

Full Access Member
Reaction score

There are a bunch of places that will sell the ham radio with the mod already performed for a nominal fee. From what I understand in most cases its pulling a small diode off a circuit board to open up the additional frequencies. I bought from GigaParts and they did that. Others do too.

Kahuna

THE MORE YOU PLAY WITH IT, THE BIGGER IT GETS
Reaction score
With the TK790H, internal mods are generally not to open up frequencies but to undo mods previously done to allow the ignition sense to be used or dual band (with TK890/690) on used radios from eBay etc. The unit can pick up commonly used run frequencies as is.

But probably don't need to get into that here.

OP
OP
Rob in CA

Rob in CA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are a bunch of places that will sell the ham radio with the mod already performed for a nominal fee. From what I understand in most cases its pulling a small diode off a circuit board to open up the additional frequencies. I bought from GigaParts and they did that. Others do too.

Yeah, Antenna farm does the mod for $35.