Happy with the switch?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stevdug

Reaction score
My gen 2 was like a properly broke in pair of tennis shoes. For some reason my Gen 3 feels bulky, and less sporty. I can't lay a finger on it as I like the dash layout in the gen3 better but don't feel as in control or at home as I did in the Gen 2
I'll clarify my comment a bit. The gen 3 sounds better, rides better, generally drives better but for some reason feels like a much bigger truck than my Gen 3. It's the same darn size I know, but other than the taller stance I can't figure out why It feels so different. At first I thought I would settle in but I've had it going on 6 months and still miss the driving feel I had in the 17

MORaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is clear this is a subjective topic; everyone will have an opinion on what they like and dislike – that is what makes the world go around. I had an ‘18 with a Cobb Tune (Goosetuned) that was awesome for the 100K miles I drove it. I took my tune off (which I should probably sell) before trading it in on my ’22 and got $50k for it. I am not going to say my ’22 has the pep of my tuned ’18, but I will say it somewhere in between stock and tuned, to the point where I think no tune is needed on my ’22… It is a beast. Add in the 2kW generator for off-grid activities, console, increased payload and a number of intangibles- I couldn’t be happier, no looking back for this ’22 owner.

BADJUJU

Reaction score
Last but not least, as you approach your Gen3, it turns on all kinds of lights to welcome you....if you choose to turn on that option.

Well that's great news, I'll be turning that OFF asap...gets old quick.

My Gen 3 will have to grow on me, my gen 2 Avalanche was a beast.

almost 85k on the Gen 2 just felt like moving on, had the cam phaser issue around 60k, chose not to address it. I did take it in this past Feb. for the update to "protect the engine" per ford TSB
It still had a tick on startup but that was never a problem for me.

Gen 3 is all around better truck over gen 2, not even a debate, Oh, yes, sir. I miss Gen 2 like a hawg miss slop. Like a baby miss mammy *****! I miss my Gen 2 like I misses a rock in my shoe!

Nohowtoplz

Reaction score
My friend has a Gen2. Loves it and it looks great. I agree. But I got the ‘21 Gen3 because of looks, new tech and features. Make no mistake they are two extremely different trucks. I have a ‘21. Have had no issues at all after a year of use. ‘21 is a good year because you get all the bells and whistles. No part supply or chip issues. I think you’ll enjoy your weekends more pulling a Gen3 out of the garage.

JoeSC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drove my father's 2019 for a bit and got my 22 in June. It's pretty far ahead of the Gen 2 in all categories. Subjective to what it's worth spending, depending on your personal situation. I highly doubt anyone on this forum if you lined up the same color Gen 2 and Gen 3 and said choose one it's all yours that they pick the Gen 2.
I'll be the guy who disagrees. I think the Gen 2 is still a way better looking truck. It's beefier and way different than the standard F-150. The front and lights of Gen 2 have way more character. And I actually prefer the interior. I'm not a fan of tablet-sized displays and I don't really like the bar under the new display. Some aspects of the Gen 3 are nice. I would love the fold down shifter/work table for road trips. Pro-power and 5-link would be ok, but I still prefer Gen 2. Some of you guys with Gen 3s are still rocking Gen 2 photos....I mean that kind of says it all doesn't it....:p

Don't let my razzing hurt too much. You obvously can't go wrong with either, and I'm sure I'm in the minority.

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'll be the guy who disagrees. I think the Gen 2 is still a way better looking truck. It's beefier and way different than the standard F-150. The front and lights of Gen 2 have way more character. And I actually prefer the interior. I'm not a fan of tablet-sized displays and I don't really like the bar under the new display. Some aspects of the Gen 3 are nice. I would love the fold down shifter/work table for road trips. Pro-power and 5-link would be ok, but I still prefer Gen 2. Some of you guys with Gen 3s are still rocking Gen 2 photos....I mean that kind of says it all doesn't it....:p

Don't let my razzing hurt too much. You obvously can't go wrong with either, and I'm sure I'm in the minority.
Key word is you can't go wrong. Its a limited edition truck for all 3 gens right now. If you got one you should be stoked no matter what.

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score

I too think the Gen 2 generally looks a tad wider, girthier, a little weight on it, hips, SIDEWAYS STRONG, "throw that ass in a circle", if you will.

The Gen 3 is of course updated with new electronic features.

JoeSC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Key word is you can't go wrong. Its a limited edition truck for all 3 gens right now. If you got one you should be stoked no matter what.
I too think the Gen 2 generally looks a tad wider, girthier, a little weight on it, hips, SIDEWAYS STRONG, "throw that ass in a circle", if you will.

The Gen 3 is of course updated with new electronic features.

Agreed!